Substitution Rule for Integrals: How to Simplify Complex Integrands

In summary, the given integral can be solved by substituting u = √(4 - r^2) and then using the substitution u = 5 - √(4 - r^2). The resulting integral is trivial to solve.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

$$\int_{0}^{2} r\sqrt{5-\sqrt{4-r^2}} dr$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

would i substitute ##u=4-r^2##?

After of which I would input into the integral and get:
$$\int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{5-\sqrt{u}}du$$

What would I do here? Do I just work inside the radical(so 5r - 2/3u^3/2)? Or do I have to account that it's inside a radical when solving?

Likes lurflurf
Physics news on Phys.org
Arnoldjavs3 said:

Homework Statement

$$\int_{0}^{2} r\sqrt{5-\sqrt{4-r^2}} dr$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

would i substitute ##u=4-r^2##?

After of which I would input into the integral and get:
$$\int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{5-\sqrt{u}}du$$
This doesn't look very promising, and besides, it doesn't look like you did your substitution correctly. If ##u = 4 - r^2##, what is du? You can't simply replace dr by du.
Arnoldjavs3 said:
What would I do here? Do I just work inside the radical(so 5r - 2/3u^3/2)? Or do I have to account that it's inside a radical when solving?
As I said, this doesn't seem very promising. I would try this substitution: ##u = \sqrt{4 - r^2}##, or equivalently, ##u^2 = 4 - r^2##.

Substitute [tex]u = 5 - \sqrt {4 - {r^2}} [/tex]. Then [tex]rdr = (5 - u)du[/tex] and your integral becomes

$$\int_3^5 {(5 - u)\sqrt u du} $$

I didn't actually evaluate it because now it's trivial.

Likes lurflurf

What is the substitution rule for integrals?

The substitution rule for integrals, also known as the u-substitution method, is a technique used to simplify and solve integrals by making a substitution for the variable in the integrand.

When should the substitution rule be used?

The substitution rule should be used when the integrand contains a complicated function or when the integral involves a trigonometric function that can be simplified using a substitution.

How do I apply the substitution rule to an integral?

To apply the substitution rule, you must first identify a substitution, u, that will simplify the integrand. Then, substitute u into the integral and replace all instances of the original variable with u. Finally, solve the integral with respect to u and substitute the original variable back in the answer.

What is the difference between the substitution rule and integration by parts?

The substitution rule is used when the integrand can be simplified by substituting a new variable, while integration by parts is used to integrate the product of two functions. The substitution rule is often used for integrals with complicated functions, while integration by parts is used for integrals with two functions.

Can the substitution rule be used for definite integrals?

Yes, the substitution rule can be used for definite integrals. When solving a definite integral using the substitution rule, the limits of integration must also be substituted with the new variable u.