Simplifying the Substitution Rule for Integration

In summary, the conversation is about using the substitution rule to solve an integral problem. The person has written their own method to solve the problem, but it did not work for a specific question. They are confused about the book's explanation and have asked for clarification on certain steps. The other person explains the use of substitution and how to apply it in this specific problem. The confusion is resolved and the final answer is (y^4 + 4y^2 + 1)^3.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-02-02at65434PM.png

here is the answer

Screenshot2012-02-02at65428PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

My book doesn't do a good job of explaining the substitution rule. here is their explanation:

Screenshot2012-02-02at61313PM.png

using the solution manual and looking at how they got the answer to other questions, I've written down my own method in english that i can understand. the method has worked for two other problems, but it broke down with the above problem.

i still don't understand what integrate with respect to u means.

here's my method:

1. substitute one part of the integral with u, find the derivative of that, z,
2. multiply the whole integral by the reciprocal of z, so that z equals 1
3. find the antiderivative of the remaining integral
4. replace u by g(x) in the result

the derivative of g(x) is

step 1. 4y^3 + 8y

multiply 12 by y^3 + 2y

step 2. 12y^3 + 2y

multiply the reciprocal of 1 with the result of step 2

step 3. (12y^3 + 24y)/(4y^3 + 8y)

simplify step 3

step 4. 3 + 3 = 6

we now have

step 5. 6u^2

take the antiderivative of 6u^2

step 6. (6u^3)/3

simplify

step 7 2u^3

plug in g(x) into u

step 8. 2(y^4 + 4y^2 + 1)^3

The book says that the answer is

(y^4 + 4y^2 + 1)^3

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you're doing from step 2 to step 4, why are you multiplying by the reciprocal?

Can you explain what you're doing at that step and why? Where did the 3+3 from step 4 come from?

That was the method I came up with to get the other answers and it worked.

It looks like the book just eliminates (y^3 + 2y) why?

I don't understand what integrate with respect to u means.

If you just eliminate y^3 + 2y, then add 4 + 8, which is 12 and multiply the reciprocal of that to 12, you will get the answer, but I would like to know why.

Your integral is [itex]12\int (y^4+ 4y^2+ 1)(y^3+ 2y)dy[/itex] and you want to use the substitution [itex]u= y^4+ 4y^2+ 1[/itex]. By differentiating, [itex]du= (4y^2+ 8y)dy[/itex] or [itex]du= 4(y^2+ 2y)dy[/itex] which is the same thing as [itex](1/4)du= (y^2+ 2y)dy[/itex]. So you replace the "[itex]y^4+ 4y^2+ 1[/itex]" in the integral with u and the "[itex](y^2+ 2y)dy[/itex]" with [itex](1/4)du[/itex]

That gives [itex]12\int u (1/4)du= 3\int dudu[/itex]

That's all it is, just replace the formulas in x with the things in u that are equal to them.

What is the Substitution Rule for Integration?

The Substitution Rule for Integration is a method used in calculus to solve integrals that involve a function raised to a power or a trigonometric function. It involves substituting a variable in the integral with a new variable, which makes the integral easier to solve.

Why is the Substitution Rule for Integration important?

The Substitution Rule for Integration is important because it allows us to solve complex integrals that would otherwise be very difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It also helps us to find the antiderivative of a function, which is an important concept in calculus.

How do you simplify the Substitution Rule for Integration?

To simplify the Substitution Rule for Integration, you need to follow a few steps. First, identify the variable to be substituted in the integral. Then, choose a new variable to replace it. Next, find the derivative of the new variable and use it to replace the original variable in the integral. Finally, solve the resulting integral with the new variable.

What are some common mistakes when using the Substitution Rule for Integration?

Some common mistakes when using the Substitution Rule for Integration include not choosing the correct new variable, forgetting to use the derivative of the new variable, and not substituting correctly in the integral. It is important to double-check your work and make sure you are using the correct steps in the process.

Can the Substitution Rule for Integration be used for all integrals?

No, the Substitution Rule for Integration cannot be used for all integrals. It is only applicable for integrals that involve a function raised to a power or a trigonometric function. For other types of integrals, other methods such as integration by parts may be more suitable.