How Can Substitution and Integration Help Solve This Equation?

In summary: I have tried doing this before, but I get lost very quickly and end up making errors. I appreciate any help you can provide!
cd246

Homework Statement

/int (2t+4)^-1/2 dt. the answer is 2(sqrt3)-2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

u^-1/2*(1/2)du
(-1/2)(u^1/2)
(-1/4)(2t+4)^1/2
(-1/4)(sqrt 12)= (-1/4)(4(sqrt 3)/1)=sqrt 3
(sqrt 3)-1/2
2(sqrt 3)-1

Physics news on Phys.org
cd246 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

u^-1/2*(1/2)du
(-1/2)(u^1/2)
(-1/4)(2t+4)^1/2
(sqrt 3)-1/2
2(sqrt 3)-1

-You don't need substitution for this.
simply use this exp:

[tex]\int {x}^{n}dx=\frac{{x}^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex]

>also recheck your calculations.

I did this: u^(1/2)/(1/2).
2u^(1/2)
2(2t+4)^(1/2)
(4t+8)^1/2
(12t)^(1/2)
2(3)^(1/2)
I believe I am further off than the first time.

If you don't see how to do the integral with rootX's suggestion, you can turn it around.
What happens if you differentiate [tex]x^{n + 1}/(n + 1)[/tex] with [itex]x = (2t + 4)[/itex] and [itex]n = -1/2[/itex]?
Can you find a primitive now? (Watch the chain rule, you might need to add some constants to get the integrand back correctly)

What are the integration limits? From what to what are the integration performed over?

cd246 said:

Homework Statement

Well, no, that is not the answer! The answer is (2t+4)1/2+ C where C can be any constant. Is it possible that your integral had limits that you haven't told us?

Homework Equations

u^-1/2*(1/2)du
Please, please, pleas, tell us what you are doing! This makes no sense until you tell us that you are using the substitution u= 2x- 4 so that (2x-4)-1/2 becomes u-1/2 (not 1/2) and 2dx= du so dx= (1/2)du
(-1/2)(u^1/2)
?? The anti-derivative of un is 1/(n+1) un+1 (as long as n is not -1). For n= -1/2, n+1= 1/2 and that becomes 2 u1/2, Multiplying by 1/2 from the "dx= (1/2) du" gives u1/2+ C= (2t+4)1/2+ C.

(-1/4)(2t+4)^1/2
(sqrt 3)-1/2
2(sqrt 3)-1

HallsofIvy said:
Well, no, that is not the answer! The answer is (2t+4)1/2+ C where C can be any constant. Is it possible that your integral had limits that you haven't told us?
Please, please, pleas, tell us what you are doing! This makes no sense until you tell us that you are using the substitution u= 2x- 4 so that (2x-4)-1/2 becomes u-1/2 (not 1/2) and 2dx= du so dx= (1/2)du

?? The anti-derivative of un is 1/(n+1) un+1 (as long as n is not -1). For n= -1/2, n+1= 1/2 and that becomes 2 u1/2, Multiplying by 1/2 from the "dx= (1/2) du" gives u1/2+ C= (2t+4)1/2+ C.

I cannot believe this, same problem but it is /int 4_0. I'm sorry i missed that.

To answer the question of what i am doing, first I have to figure out if this is something i can use the fund. rules of integrals or something i have to (or is preferred) substitute the function. For this one, i believe that i have to use sub.

Last edited:
And yes people here have showing you that make the subsitute:

u = 2t + 4

Makes the problem slightly easier, have you tried this? And You do not seem to understand the basic algebraic rules here:

2(2t+4)^(1/2)
(4t+8)^1/2

in your post #3

Now this is true:
[tex] a^{1/2} * b^{1/2} = (ab)^{1/2} [/tex]
So:
[tex] 2(2t+4)^{1/2} = (4^{1/2})(2t+4)^{1/2} =(8t+16)^{1/2} [/tex]

Anyway, if you make that substitution u, how does you new integral looks like?

I think rootX's point:
rootX said:
-You don't need substitution for this.
simply use this exp:

[tex]\int {x}^{n}dx=\frac{{x}^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex]

>also recheck your calculations.
is that for simple linear substitutions, ax+ b, you should be able to just think: do the integral ignoring the linear part inside the power, and the divide by a: The anti-derivative of (ax+ b)n is (n/a)(ax+ b)n+1[/sup]. You don't really need to write out the substitution. That comes with experience.

i finally found my error. I understand the basics(for the most part) of integration.
It is the substitution and the more sophisticated equations that get me.

1. What is the concept of substitution with integration?

Substitution with integration is a technique used in calculus to simplify the process of integration. It involves substituting a variable or expression in the integral with a new variable or expression in order to make the integral easier to solve.

2. How do you determine which substitution to use?

The substitution to use is determined by looking for a part of the integral that resembles a known integral. This part is then substituted with a new variable, chosen in a way that simplifies the integral.

3. What is the general formula for substitution with integration?

The general formula for substitution with integration is: ∫f(u) du = ∫f(g(x))g'(x) dx, where u = g(x) and du = g'(x) dx.

4. Can substitution with integration be used to solve all integrals?

No, substitution with integration can only be used to solve integrals that can be transformed into a known integral by substituting a variable or expression.

5. Can substitution with integration be used for definite integrals?

Yes, substitution with integration can be used for definite integrals. The limits of integration must also be transformed when substituting the variable or expression in order to obtain the correct result.