Subtract Vectors A & B: Calculate Components & Magnitude

In summary, the conversation revolved around using trigonometric functions to decompose vectors into their x and y components. The equation for vector subtraction, C=B-A, was discussed and the steps for finding the x and y components and magnitude of C were outlined. The conversation concluded with the confirmation of the correct method for finding the magnitude of C using the Pythagorean theorem.
swimchica93
I am completely lost. Here is a similar equation, I changed the lengths and angles.

Vector A is 3.0 meters long, and is 45 degrees from the x axis.
Vector B is 6.0 meters long, and is 130 degrees from the x axis.

What are the x and y components of the vector C=B-A?
What is the magnitude of C?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, draw a picture. Include a coordinate system and your vectors. Use trig (sine/cosine) to decompose your vectors into their x and y components.

C=B-A is a vector equation, so Cx=Bx-Ax and Cy=By-Ay

I'm assuming you know how to add vectors, but if not, replay back.

Subtracting vectors is the same thing as adding vectors, but in the opposite direction.

So, in your example, subtracting A would be the same thing as adding 3.0 meters 225 degrees from the x-axis.

I don't know how to add vectors at all. I know I have to use cos and sin but my knowledge ends there.

swimchica93 said:
I don't know how to add vectors at all. I know I have to use cos and sin but my knowledge ends there.

Just focus on vector A right now, sketch a coordinate system and draw in the vector with the angle you described. Sin(the angle)=what? Cos (the angle)=what? You can use the sine and cosine function to get the x and y components of A.

Vectors are nothing but triangles, don't worry about them.

Thank you so much for your help. What about the lengths? So far for that problem, I have:

cos (45)= .707
sin (45)= .707
cos (130)= -0.643
sin (130) = 0.766

I just don't have any clue what to do with those numbers.

swimchica93 said:
Thank you so much for your help. What about the lengths? So far for that problem, I have:
cos (45)= .707
sin (45)= .707
cos (130)= -0.643
sin (130) = 0.766

So what you have calculated is the ratio of the length (magnitude) of your vectors to their x and y components. For vector A you have sin(45 deg)=Ay/A so that Ay=A*sin(45 deg)=3*sin(45deg)=0.707*sin(45 deg). For the x component Ax=A*cos(45 deg).

Now you have the x and y components of your A vector, what are the x and y components of your B vector?

I got:

Ax= 2.121
Ay= 2.121
Bx= -3.858
By= 4.596

Thank you so much for your help! How do I subtract them? :)

I think I may have figured it out.

Cx= -5.979
Cy= 2.475

and the Magnitude= 6.471

Thank you sooo much! I am so appreciative! :D You are my savior!

You're doing great. Remember your original equation for C? C=B-A which was a vector equation which really means it is two equations in one. Cx=Bx-Ax so Cx=-3.858-2.121 and similarly for Cy. Now remember the problem originally asked for the magnitude of the vector C but since Cx and Cy are perpendicular to each other you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the total length of C. And that should do it.

I know this vector stuff must seem sort of weird and abstract now but I think once you apply it to some real problems it will make a little more sense and eventually be more intuitive.

Thank you so much! I did sqrt(cx^2+cy^2)=C. Is that right? For magnitude, that is.

swimchica93 said:
Thank you so much! I did sqrt(cx^2+cy^2)=C. Is that right? For magnitude, that is.

Perfect :)

Thank you so much! :d

1. What are vectors A and B?

Vectors A and B are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. How do you subtract vectors A and B?

To subtract vectors A and B, you need to subtract the components of the two vectors separately. This means subtracting the x-component of A from the x-component of B, and the y-component of A from the y-component of B. The result will be a new vector with the subtracted components.

3. What are vector components?

Vector components refer to the individual parts of a vector that make up its overall magnitude and direction. For example, a vector with a magnitude of 5 and a direction of 30 degrees would have an x-component of 5cos(30) and a y-component of 5sin(30).

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

To calculate the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (or length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the magnitude of a vector with components x and y would be equal to the square root of x^2 + y^2.

5. What is the importance of subtracting vectors?

Subtracting vectors is important in many scientific and mathematical applications, such as in physics and engineering. It allows us to find the difference between two quantities that have both magnitude and direction. This can be useful in solving problems involving motion, forces, and other physical phenomena.