1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Successive boosts

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    Hi Friends,

From time to time I have seen transformations replaced by a succession of infinitesimal transformations. The end result ends up being an exponent.

My knowledge of this is vague and I would like to look into it more seriously. Particularly I am interested in describing the lorentz transformation as a sequence of infinitesimal boosts.

Can someone point me to the first thing I need read to understand this?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2
    Hi, ActionIntegral,

I'll be more than happy to take a stab at it! Just expand the lorentz transform in a taylor series in v about v=0 keeping only the first order.

You can raise this operator to the nth power. Somehow this becomes an exponent but I haven't figured that part out yet.

4. Nov 2, 2006 #3
    That's ok - I wouldn't want you to do all the work for me! :smile:

5. Nov 2, 2006 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What I think you're trying to do is find the "generator" of the Lorentz group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generating_set_of_a_group

But you want to do this for a continuous group. The Lorentz transformation is a "group" in the abstract algebra sense with the group operation being the successive application of transforms, because the result is associative f x (g x h) = (f x g) x h, and has an inverse. However, the Lorentz group is an infinite group. This is called a "Lie group".

So what you need to do is to read up on Lie groups (specifically the generators of Lie groups). Or see if you can find a mathemetician.

Hope this helps.

6. Nov 2, 2006 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let [tex]\Theta=\left[ \begin {array}{cc} 0&1\\\noalign{\medskip}1&0\end {array} \right]\theta[/tex].
    Formally, write [tex]\exp(\Theta)=I+\Theta+\Theta^2/2!+\Theta^3/3!+\ldots[/tex]. Do you recognize [tex]\exp(\Theta)[/tex]?

7. Nov 2, 2006 #6
    Both good answers - i'll read up on it. thanks to all three of you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?