Successors to string scuffle (physical assets/liabilities?)

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary: I hesitate to call it "successor to string" because string theory was (is?) much more ambitious than "only" quantizing gravity. None of the approaches you mentioned has the potential to unify all known interactions and to replace strings. They should be compatible with a large class of interactions, but are not predictive in the sense that they single out specific interactions.

Which of these potential string successors seem most promising?

• Total voters
Visser's comments are pretty recent. I was having lunch with him today after he presented his own summary of Horava for a local GR conference.

He is still very positive, saying it is the cutest thing he has seen in 10 years and more promising than the other lines mentioned here. Despite his very clear presentation of Horava, I still don't really have an intuitive understanding of what it is about though.

He gave a thumbs up to Volovik, thumbs down to Nottale, lots of other interesting comments about this and that.

Physics news on Phys.org
DO YOU KNOW MATT VISSER PERSONALLY??!? :eek:

MTd2 said:
DO YOU KNOW MATT VISSER PERSONALLY??!? :eek:

No, I write about science so was interviewing him.

I vote for rovolli since I have conjectured that lattice theory is linked to spin foam( and found later that they are daul). Moreover, lattice theory is also linked to String theory(ising model) and CDT looks like it sits in them middle of them all. AsymSafe looks far on the face of it but I think it is closer to them than one might think. My own Idea links them all, where space-time and matter are one and the same virtually. And it is basically of Ising type model. In a paper I read some months back by Baez he was disappointed when he discovered that a more powerfull theory led to space-time elements(ds^2) to run to much larger than Planck's length. I think he has made a big mistake by dissmissing such results.

http://www.qsa.netne.net

marcus said:
So far nine people have responded!: eight on the original poll plus Arivero with a "write in" vote for SUGRA.

5 for Loop (Christine, MTd2, tom.stoer, SW VandeCarr, marcus)
2 for AsymSafe (william donnelly, marcus)
2 for SUGRA (arivero, tom.stoer)
2 for CDT (marcus, BigF)
1 for Regge (marcus)
1 for Xiao-Gang Wen ('Sabah)

Thanks to all who have responded so far!

To update at yearend, 12 of us have so far registered what we see as the most promising approaches.
Eleven on the regular poll, making twelve counting Arivero's "write-in" vote for supergravity, which I neglected to include at the start.

6 for Loop (Christine, MTd2, tom.stoer, SW VandeCarr, qsa, marcus)
3 for AsymSafe (garrett, william donnelly, marcus)
2 for CDT (marcus, BigF)
1 for Horava (apeiron)
1 for Regge (marcus)
1 for Xiao-Gang Wen ('sabah)

===============
EDIT, there was still time to edit, so I have added two votes as requested in next post #111.
Horava is now 1+1
AsymSafe is now 3+1

6 for Loop (Christine, MTd2, tom.stoer, SW VandeCarr, qsa, marcus)
4 for AsymSafe (garrett, william donnelly, MTd2, marcus)
2 for CDT (marcus, BigF)
2 for Horava (apeiron, MTd2)
1 for Regge (marcus)
1 for Xiao-Gang Wen ('sabah)

Last edited:
If it possible include 1 for HG and 1 for AS

MTd2 said:
If it possible include 1 for HG and 1 for AS

Done.

Should LHC find evidence of SUSY, is there a need for there to be a "successor" to string theory? (on the other hand, if LHC does not find such evidence, I wonder what would become of strings)