Discovering the Science Behind Sucking Up Spaghetti | Ray Vickson

• I
  • Thread starter Ray Vickson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the forces involved in sucking up individual strands of spaghetti, with the conclusion that creating an imbalance in air pressure between the inside and outside of the mouth is responsible for the movement of the spaghetti. The thread linked provides further discussion and opinions on the topic.
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
I am a fairly long-term homework helper, but this is my first post to the Forum.

I have often wondered: where do the forces arise that allow me to (rather impolitely) suck up individual strands of spaghetti? I deliberately create an imbalance in air pressure between the inside and the outside of my mouth, but the air pressure acting on the spaghetti produces forces that act perpendicular to the spaghetti's axis (not towards my mouth), with only the force on the very small hanging end acting along the axis, to push the strand up. So, how does the spagehetti get sucked up?

Ray Vickson

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the best way to suck up spaghetti?

The best way to suck up spaghetti is to use a fork and twirl the noodles around it. This will help prevent the spaghetti from slipping off the fork and making a mess. Alternatively, you can use a spoon to scoop up the spaghetti.

Is it polite to suck up spaghetti in public?

In most cultures, it is considered impolite to suck up spaghetti in public. It is best to use a fork and twirl the noodles onto your spoon before eating them. However, in some countries, it is acceptable to slurp your noodles as a sign of enjoyment.

Why do some people prefer to suck up spaghetti instead of using a fork?

Sucking up spaghetti can be a matter of personal preference. Some people may find it easier or more enjoyable to eat their spaghetti this way. Additionally, in some countries, it is the traditional way of eating spaghetti.

Is it bad for your health to suck up spaghetti?

No, there is no evidence that sucking up spaghetti is bad for your health. However, it is important to be careful and not inhale the noodles, as this could potentially cause choking. It is also important to chew your food properly before swallowing.

Can you suck up any type of spaghetti?

Yes, you can suck up any type of spaghetti, including long spaghetti noodles, short penne noodles, and even spaghetti made from alternative ingredients such as zucchini or squash. Just be mindful of the size and shape of the noodles and adjust your sucking technique accordingly.