Model for Sudden Decompression of Ideal Gas in Box

• Thread starter intervoxel
  • Start date
In summary: The equation appears to be correct, but I was wondering if there was a reference that could confirm it.
intervoxel
Imagine an infinitely long square box of side L. This box is isolated from the ambient and contains a number of N molecules of an ideal gas in a volume L^3 in thermal equilibrium located at one end of the box at time t=0.

I found that the evolution of this system can be modeled by the decay equation

n(t) = N e^{-At}.

Where n is the number of particles in the volume L^3 and A is a scalling constant.

My question is: Is there a better model for this system? (maybe hopefuly including absolute temperature T, L and Boltzman constant k_B)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please, help. I'm stuck a long time in this.

So far I got the following formula which gives the time the i-th particle takes to reach the barrier at x=L:

[tex]
t_i = \frac{2 L - x_i}{\overline{v} \cos(a_i)}
[/tex]

where

[tex]x_i[/tex] is a random variable between 0 and L
[tex]a_i[/tex] is a random variable between 0 and [tex]\pi /2[/tex]
[tex]\overline{v}[/tex] is the average speed of a gas particle

What I need is [tex]n(t) = f(N, L, \overline{v},t)[/tex]

where

N is the total number of particles
n(t) is the the number of particles in the original volume [tex]L^3[/tex] after time t

Any reference book or article?

Thanks

Perhaps a Google search of "sudden decompression equations" with an additional search term of NASA, LANL or something similar might give some insight.

Thank you for you suggestion, pallidin, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm checking the consistency of the following formula I worked out:

[tex]
\boxed{
\;\;n(t) = N exp\left[-\left(\frac{4\ln{2}\sqrt{\frac{3k_BT}{m}}}{\pi L}\right)t\right].\;\;
}
[/tex]

where [tex]k_B[/tex] is Boltzmann constant, T is the absolute temperature and m is the atomic weight of the monoatomic gas molecule.

1. What is the "Model for Sudden Decompression of Ideal Gas in Box"?

The "Model for Sudden Decompression of Ideal Gas in Box" is a scientific model used to study the behavior of an ideal gas when it undergoes sudden decompression in a closed container.

2. How does the model work?

The model assumes that the gas is an ideal gas, which means that it follows the ideal gas law and its particles do not interact with each other. It also takes into account the conservation of mass and energy, as well as the equation of state for an ideal gas. By using these principles, the model can predict the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas when it undergoes sudden decompression.

3. What are the assumptions made in this model?

The model assumes that the gas is an ideal gas, meaning that its particles do not interact with each other. It also assumes that the container is closed and there are no external forces acting on the gas. Additionally, the model assumes that the process is adiabatic, meaning that there is no transfer of heat between the gas and its surroundings.

4. What are the applications of this model?

This model has various applications in different fields, such as aerospace engineering, meteorology, and industrial processes. It can be used to study the behavior of gases in high altitude environments, predict the effects of sudden changes in pressure on aircrafts, and understand the processes involved in gas explosions and depressurization accidents.

5. Are there any limitations to this model?

Yes, there are certain limitations to this model. The assumptions made may not hold true in all cases, especially for real gases that deviate from ideal behavior. The model also does not take into account any external factors, such as heat transfer or chemical reactions, which may affect the behavior of the gas. Therefore, the results obtained from this model should be interpreted with caution and may require further experimentation or refinement.