1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sudden decompression

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    Imagine an infinitely long square box of side L. This box is isolated from the ambient and contains a number of N molecules of an ideal gas in a volume L^3 in thermal equilibrium located at one end of the box at time t=0.

I found that the evolution of this system can be modelled by the decay equation

n(t) = N e^{-At}.

Where n is the number of particles in the volume L^3 and A is a scalling constant.

My question is: Is there a better model for this system? (maybe hopefuly including absolute temperature T, L and Boltzman constant k_B)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2
    Please, help. I'm stuck a long time in this.

So far I got the following formula which gives the time the i-th particle takes to reach the barrier at x=L:

[tex]
    t_i = \frac{2 L - x_i}{\overline{v} \cos(a_i)}
    [/tex]

where

[tex]x_i[/tex] is a random variable between 0 and L
    [tex]a_i[/tex] is a random variable between 0 and [tex]\pi /2[/tex]
    [tex]\overline{v}[/tex] is the average speed of a gas particle

What I need is [tex]n(t) = f(N, L, \overline{v},t)[/tex]

where

N is the total number of particles
    n(t) is the the number of particles in the original volume [tex]L^3[/tex] after time t

Any reference book or article?

Thanks

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3
    Perhaps a Google search of "sudden decompression equations" with an additional search term of NASA, LANL or something similar might give some insight.

5. Nov 26, 2008 #4
    Thank you for you suggestion, pallidin, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm checking the consistency of the following formula I worked out:

[tex]
    \boxed{
    \;\;n(t) = N exp\left[-\left(\frac{4\ln{2}\sqrt{\frac{3k_BT}{m}}}{\pi L}\right)t\right].\;\;
    }
    [/tex]

where [tex]k_B[/tex] is Boltzmann constant, T is the absolute temperature and m is the atomic weight of the monoatomic gas molecule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook