1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sudden perturbation approximation for oscillator

1. May 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An oscillator is in the ground state of [tex] H = H^0 + H^1 [/tex], where the time-independent perturbation [tex] H^1 [/tex] is the linear potential (-fx). It at t = 0, [tex] H^1 [/tex] is abruptly turned off, determine the probability that the system is in the nth state of [tex] H^0 [/tex] .

2. Relevant equations

First, since the perturbation is turned off abruptly, the sudden perturbation approximation may be used.

[tex]P(n) = |<n|n^0>|^2[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure where to start. Is this best done in the coordinate basis or the energy basis?

In either basis, I need some type of representation of |n> but I am not sure where to start with that.

[tex]n^0$[/tex] can be represented as |0> in the energy basis or [tex] \psi(t) = A_0 * e^{y{2}}$ [/tex] in the coordinate basis.

jsc

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?