1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suddenly removing a spring

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass is between 2 springs between 2 walls. The mass oscillates with amplitude d. The springs are at equilibrium when the mass is in the center. At the moment the mass is in the center a spring is removed. What is the resulting x(t) and the new amplitude? Note the k's are equal.
    Edit: I forgot to add that at t=0 x(t)=d/2 when there is one spring.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I solved for x(t) for both before and after removing the spring.
    Before: x(t) = Asin(2wt) + Bcos(2wt)
    after: x(t) = Asin(wt) + Bsin(wt)
    I'm just assuming the new amplitude is twice what is was since when the spring is removed it has the energy of 2 springs, but now the resistance of one. Is there a way to show this using the x(t)'s I found? I feel like they should relate to the problem more.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2
    1. With both in equilibrium, means not forces applied to the mass.
    2. If the mass displaced with 2 springs, then with only one spring we have to take conservation of energy into consideration.

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    1. It is oscillating with amplitude d, we know forces are being applied.
    2. I know we can use conservation of energy, but is there anyway using the x(t) that i derived?

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4
    Before: x(t) = Asin(2wt) + Bcos(2wt)
    after: x(t) = Asin(wt) + Bsin(wt)
    -------------------------------
    The amplitude must be different for both cases.

6. Oct 2, 2012 #5
    for before I get just x(t) = Asin(2wt) since x(0)=0 but how do I show the amplitude difference with these equations? Edit: Actually scratch that, x(0) = d/2, I'll see where this gets me

7. Oct 2, 2012 #6
    The As and Bs are different in the two equations. You need to express one set via the other. A and B in the initial equation must be expressible via d and the condition that at t = 0 the mass is going through the equilibrium point.

8. Oct 2, 2012 #7
    I can solve for B using x(0) = 0 but for A do i have to use the fact that Asin(wt) + Bcos(wt) should equal 2d at their max, so when wt = pi/4, and then solve for A?

9. Oct 2, 2012 #8
    B (for the original equation) = 0, that's correct. So the original equation is x = A sin 2wt. What is A in terms of d?

10. Oct 2, 2012 #9
    Sorry. I fogot to include an important fact in the question. I just added it. Using that I get B = d/2, so how do I get A? What I was thinking in #7 was wrong, I'm guessing I just find a maximum of my function using derivatives, which won't work either, nevermind.

11. Oct 2, 2012 #10
    Where does this additional condition come from? Is it part of the problem? What time is t = 0?

12. Oct 2, 2012 #11
    It is from the problem and t = 0 is when the spring disappears (also in the problem). I tried to only type the relevant stuff. I clearly didnt understand the problem fully

13. Oct 2, 2012 #12
    This new condition contradicts the other statement. One spring is said to disappear when the mass is at the center. That means x(0) = 0. x = d/2 means the mass is half-way between the center and the maximum displacement.

14. Oct 2, 2012 #13
    Ok now that makes sense. It does not disappear when m is at the middle, but when x=d/2 at which t=0. I am really glad I read properly, but I'm still not sure how to find A or the new amplitude

15. Oct 2, 2012 #14
    Does the problem specify in which direction the mass was moving when the spring separated?

16. Oct 2, 2012 #15
    Yes, to the right. How is that relevant?

17. Oct 2, 2012 #16
    To get A, you have to simplify the equation

[tex] x = A \sin 2 \omega t - B \cos 2 \omega t [/tex]

Divide it through by ## \sqrt {A^2 + B^2} ##, that will get you

[tex] x = \sqrt {A^2 + B^2}[ a\sin 2 \omega t - b \cos 2 \omega t ] [/tex]

where ## a \le 1, \ b \le 1 ## so you could let ##a = \cos \alpha, \ b = \sin \alpha ##, and use trigonometry to transform the equation further.

18. Oct 2, 2012 #17
    Well don't I already know B=d/2 using x(0), so is there not an easier method?

19. Oct 2, 2012 #18
    Using this method, you convert ## x = A \sin 2 \omega t + B \cos 2 \omega t ## into ## x = \sqrt {A^2 + B^2} \sin (2 \omega t + \alpha) ##, and it is then obvious that ## d = \sqrt {A^2 + B^2} ##.

20. Oct 2, 2012 #19
    I honestly have no idea how or why/how you did that or how you decided that it needed to be done, nor do i see how d is obvious.

21. Oct 2, 2012 #20
    Re how I did that, go the previous page and how another look.

Re why d is obvious: look at ## x = \sqrt {A^2 + B^2} \sin (2 \omega t + \alpha) ## - what is the maximum value of it? Then recall the definition of amplitude.

That explains WHY I did that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook