Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sudokube is a 4x4x4

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1
    Let's say that a Sudokube is a 4x4x4 "Rubik's"-cube labelled with 1 through 16 on the little squares. A Sudokube is "solved" if on each row and column there are 1 to 16 without repetition, and on each face as well.

Does there exist a solvable Sudokube with more than 1 solution?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Re: Sudokube

If this is a teaser, shouldn't it be in the teaser forum?
  4. Jul 7, 2008 #3

I hate sudokubes. They can such a pain to figure out. Regular Rubik's cubes are so much easier. I don't really know how many solved solutions there would on a sudokube. For any regular Rubik's cube though they only have one solution. Well there's my 2 cents...
  5. Jul 7, 2008 #4

No it's not a teaser, it's a hard problem. I don't have the answer. I don't think anyone does. (No algorithm which is less than brute-force is known)
  6. Jul 7, 2008 #5

Look at the Wikipedia page for sudokube. It says that these type of cubes might have more than one solution. How many though, it doesn't say.
  7. Jul 7, 2008 #6

The wiki page describes 3x3x3 cubes. The 4x4x4 cubes with the additional constraint that all rows and columns contain the first 16 numbers is different.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?