1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sufficient model, or ?

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    For a normal population growth we have the basic equation

[tex]
    {{dP} \over {dt}} = kP
    [/tex]

I'm not investigating pop.growth, but temperature change, but it really shouldn't matter if I'm measuring degrees instead of people. The only problem I have is that this equation only seems to be fairly accurate if there is a general increase in the values as it goes along. In my experiment a room is heated for 24h, and I want to express the temperature change using the following set of equations:

[tex]
    Q_P + \rho \cdot C_{P,Air} \cdot \dot V\left( {T_O - T_R } \right) = U \cdot A\left( {T_R - T_O } \right)
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    m \cdot C_{P,wall} \cdot {{dT_m } \over {dt}} = U \cdot A\left( {T_R - T_m } \right)
    [/tex]

I haven't done the experiment yet, but I'm not convinced that the temperature will always increase steadily, it might decrease in periods, and increase in others. What kind of model should I then use?

Of course, if the temperature does indeed turn out to only have a slow steady increase and no decrease, then there won't be a problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2
    That way of solving your current problem complicates everything, I suggest statistical analysis to then predict the changes in temperature instead. By the way, a dot on the V's head doesn't look right to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?