Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sufficient statistic

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1
    If T(x1...xn) is a sufficient statistic and is paired up with another statistic S(x1...xn) then the (T,S) is still a sufficient statistic i think, correct?
    But how would I "formally" explain that?
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2007 #2

ssd

I am not sure... just giving my thoughts..

Let, T(x) be sufficient for some parameter 'theta' say. Then T(x) contains all information about 'theta'. Now the question is how are you 'pairing up' S(x) with T(x) .... by addition or multiplication or through some other relation? If the process of 'pairing' alters the information in T(x) then the combined statistic may not be sufficient.
    As for example, consider the normal distribution N(theta,1). Let x1,x2,...,xn be a random sample from it drawn independently of each other. Then T(x)= (x1+x2....+xn)/n is sufficient (minimal) for theta. Consider
    S(x)= (x1-x2-x3...-xn)/n. Then if you pair up by addition, ie, form a new statistic T(x)+S(x), it is not sufficient for theta.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  4. Feb 15, 2007 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think what EvLer means is "if a scalar statistic T is sufficient then a vector (pair) of statistics (T,S) is also sufficient." The heuristic answer is "because even if one were to ignore S, they would still have sufficiency by virtue of having T."

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  5. Feb 16, 2007 #4

ssd

If T is scalar then it can be sufficient for a parameter 'theta' which is also scalar valued. Then you mean that, a vector valued statistic (T,S) can be sufficient for a scalar valued parameter 'theta'?.... The idea is unknown to me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?