1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggest a function

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    Can anyone give me a function that (roughly) looks like the top or bottom one in the picture attached? And yes the limits is constant as x-> +/- infinity. I don't want a trig function like arctan since trig isn't really all that applicable for what I'm doing.

I'm posting here since I definitely saw functions like this in my deff eq class, but have unfortunately forgotten its formula.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• f.GIF
      f.GIF
      File size:
      837 bytes
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, the hyperbolic tangent function can achieve such behaviour easily, with addition of a constant, sign choice and scaling.
    Similarly with the arctan function

4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    you missed the part where I said that I didn't want trig functions.

5. Sep 28, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

tanh isn't a trigonometric function.

6. Sep 28, 2008 #5
    what about

[tex]f(x)=- x^{\frac{1}{3}},if,x\geq 0;(-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}, if, x<0[/tex] this is a piecewise defined funct.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  7. Sep 28, 2008 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

Look at the class of logistic functions.

8. Sep 28, 2008 #7
    Mine doesn't really work, since i didn't see the restriction that it has to have a horizontal asymptote.

9. Sep 29, 2008 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Sep 29, 2008 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What nonsense.
    Do you think you can't "apply" an arctan function just because you are not dealing with a problem in trigonometry???

11. Sep 29, 2008 #10
    Have you got accurate numerical values or just the shape of the graph? If you got numerical data you could take a shot at exactly guessing the function.

12. Sep 29, 2008 #11
    just use integral's curves lawl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?