Find Function Like in Picture - No Trig Needed

• Thread starter TalonStriker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, someone looking for a function that approximates the top or bottom one in the attached picture might be able to find a hyperbolic tangent or arctan function that works.
TalonStriker
Can anyone give me a function that (roughly) looks like the top or bottom one in the picture attached? And yes the limits is constant as x-> +/- infinity. I don't want a trig function like arctan since trig isn't really all that applicable for what I'm doing.

I'm posting here since I definitely saw functions like this in my deff eq class, but have unfortunately forgotten its formula.

Thanks.

Attachments

• f.GIF
    f.GIF
    837 bytes · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the hyperbolic tangent function can achieve such behaviour easily, with addition of a constant, sign choice and scaling.
Similarly with the arctan function

arildno said:
Well, the hyperbolic tangent function can achieve such behaviour easily, with addition of a constant, sign choice and scaling.
Similarly with the arctan function

you missed the part where I said that I didn't want trig functions.

TalonStriker said:
tanh isn't a trigonometric function.

what about

[tex]f(x)=- x^{\frac{1}{3}},if,x\geq 0;(-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}, if, x<0[/tex] this is a piecewise defined funct.

Last edited:
Look at the class of logistic functions.

sutupidmath said:
what about

[tex]f(x)=- x^{\frac{1}{3}},if,x\geq 0;(-x)^{\frac{1}{3}}, if, x<0[/tex] this is a piecewise defined funct.

Mine doesn't really work, since i didn't see the restriction that it has to have a horizontal asymptote.

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function" come close to what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
TalonStriker said:
I don't want a trig function like arctan since trig isn't really all that applicable for what I'm doing.

What nonsense.
Do you think you can't "apply" an arctan function just because you are not dealing with a problem in trigonometry?

And yes the limits is constant as x-> +/- infinity

Have you got accurate numerical values or just the shape of the graph? If you got numerical data you could take a shot at exactly guessing the function.

just use integral's curves lawl

1. What is the purpose of the "Find Function Like in Picture - No Trig Needed"?

The purpose of this function is to help users find a mathematical function that matches a given graph or picture without using trigonometric functions.

2. How does the "Find Function Like in Picture - No Trig Needed" work?

This function uses a combination of mathematical algorithms and image processing techniques to analyze the given picture and determine the corresponding function.

3. Can this function be used for any type of graph or picture?

Yes, this function can be used for any type of graph or picture as long as it is a mathematical function and does not involve trigonometric functions.

4. Is this function accurate?

The accuracy of this function depends on the clarity and quality of the given picture. It may not always provide an exact match, but it can provide a close approximation of the function.

5. What are the potential applications of the "Find Function Like in Picture - No Trig Needed"?

This function can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and data analysis. It can also be used as a learning tool for students to understand the relationship between graphs and mathematical functions.