1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggest a topic for me to write an essay about?

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    Hey
    I am in high school and I have to write and extended essay (4000 words with sources) for the IB program. I was thinking about writing something about string theory. After watching The Elegant Universe, I was pretty interested. Would string theory be too hard for a high school student like me? What other science topics can I consider?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

String would be good. There's a lot of easily fairly easily explainable material there. You could go about quantum physics in general too. The philosophical side is good stuff.

4. Apr 19, 2005 #3
    Could you give me an example of easily explanable material on string theory? Maybe I could focus on a small area. I don't really have much knowledge of string theory at the moment. I've only watched Nova's The Elegant Universe, and I'm very interested.

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Apr 19, 2005 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can't focus on a small area. You could if you were to describe it mathematically. But by words, you can only cover things superficially.

7. Apr 19, 2005 #6
    An essay should really have original ideas in it. Just reiterating the state of the art in string theory is perhaps not what your teacher had in mind....?

8. Apr 21, 2005 #7
    Thanks for all your suggestions, but my teacher just said that I must do something where I can obtain quantitative results, so basically all theories are cut. Any other suggestions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?