What Are the Best Books for Learning Mechanics and Fluid Dynamics?

• Thread starter pratikk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, some recommended books for the subjects of Strength of Materials, Advanced Strength of Materials, Theory of Machines (Kinematics & Dynamics), and Fluid Mechanics include "Strength of Materials" by Beers, "Theory of Machines" by Beers, "Intro to Fluid Mechanics" by Fox & McDonnell, "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by Anderson, "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by White, "Modern Compressible Flow" by Anderson, and "Principles of Ideal-Fluid Aerodynamics" by Karamcheti. It is suggested to specify a particular area of interest within these subjects for more targeted recommendations.
pratikk
Please suggest some good or best books for these subjects-

1. Strength of Materials
2. Advanced Strength of Materials
3. Theory Of Machines (Kinematics & Dynamics)
4. Fluid Mechanics

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

What stage are you at? Beginners, advanced, etc?

H

Fluid mechanics I recommend this book :
Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics, by Munson, Young, and Okiishi.
and if you wish to get some online lectures in fluid mechanics visit this website:
http://www.firavia.com/mecheng.html , as for applications and free fluid mechanical softwares used in design visit this page : http://www.firavia.com/app.htm .

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the last post said, Beers is a very good strength of materials book.

Intro to Fluid Mechanics by Fox & MdDonnald is good.

I think you need to be a bit more specific in what portion of each subject you want to learn. For example, some good sources for fluid mechanics that cover the basics of different topics would be:
"Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by Anderson
"Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by White
"Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Okiishi, Young and Munson
"Principles of Ideal-Fluid Aerodynamics" by Karamcheti
"Modern Compressible Flow" by Anderson

...and many more.

So is there any particular areas of interest within these subjects that you have?

1. What are some good books for beginners in a specific subject?

For beginners, I would recommend "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking for physics, "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee for literature, "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari for history, and "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle for self-help.

2. Can you suggest some good books for someone interested in biographies?

Some great biographies to read include "Becoming" by Michelle Obama, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson, and "I Am Malala" by Malala Yousafzai.

3. What are some good books for science fiction fans?

For science fiction lovers, I would recommend "Dune" by Frank Herbert, "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card, "1984" by George Orwell, and "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.

4. Can you suggest some good books for self-improvement?

If you're looking for self-improvement books, I would suggest "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey, "Atomic Habits" by James Clear, "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg, and "The 5 AM Club" by Robin Sharma.

5. What are some good books for young adults?

For young adults, I would recommend "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky, "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins, and "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas.