1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggested books for QED et al

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1
    Hi All,

I am currently undergoing independent study in quantum mechanics with Zettili's "Quantum Mechanics: Application and Concepts" and would like to know some good books for independent study for the "next level". My ultimate goal is to end up on the forefront of physics in terms of grand unification\cosmology. I am almost done with Zettili's book and found it to be extrodinarily clear and understandable ( as much as one can understand QM). On the other side of the spectrum, I am using RWT Gravitation and Schultz GR for general relativity (I already have Wald's book, but I am saving that for later because I know it's far too advanced for me at this time). So, can anyone point me in the direction of the books I need for the next "levels". If the book is not self contained (there are mathematical subjects that aren't covered thoroughly enough for a self-learner, please suggest a book that I can fill in the missing parts with). I am guessing I need a good book on QED next, but I am not sure how to fill the gap between QED\RWT and something on the level of QFT\Wald.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2
    The Weinberg books are essential and similar in level to Wald's book

For a good intro, Michele Magiores "A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" is in my opinion a great book that, unlike Zee, is a great starter book and actually does calculations.

Of course you will also need Peskin, mostly because it is a standard and very useful for practical purposes (QFT means nothing if you cant do calculations with it).

The above three books discuss field theory as a whole. If you are looking to learn only QED and skip field theory methods then there are two books:

Landaus QED: This book discusses QED but the notation and viewpoint is a bit dated.

Greiner's QED: This book skips does not do much field theory but it covers feynman diagrams and is in my opinion VERY good at giving a physical intuition about QED.
    Hope this helps

4. Aug 4, 2012 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I would recommend Ryder's Quantum Field Theory

5. Aug 5, 2012 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Aug 5, 2012 #5

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

That's one reason why I wouldn't recommen Greiner at all.

7. Aug 7, 2012 #6
    Besides textbooks, if you are self-studying then I would recommend you to watch David Tong lectures on QFT and follow his notes which I found very useful.

Also I would recommend the textbook by Mandl and Shaw on QFT. I would not recommend to start with Weinberg or Zee unless you already have a good notion of quantization and path integrals. On the other side I found Ryder to be too basic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook