Suggested Reading For An MS Going Back

• Thread starter GleefulNihilism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the individual has an MS in Physics and has been teaching low level college physics courses. They have decided to pursue a PhD and are looking for suggested reading to brush up on their skills. They also inquire about potential employment opportunities with their experience and qualifications.
GleefulNihilism
Hello,

So basically I was fishing for ideas. I got an MS in Physics back in 2010, went out into the world, ended up getting a Teaching job, and decided that I want to go back to school to upgrade my MS into a PhD. It's been a few years since I've taken graduate level courses but I have been teaching low level college physics courses so I don't think my skills have degraded too badly. :P

Any suggested reading to bone back up while I'm on the hunt for grad schools? Also, altogether this means I have about 5 years of teaching experience with at least half of that being me as the boss of the show and not some GTA. Think I can get some employment a little higher up then the normal GTA lab shtick?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

First of all, congratulations on your decision to pursue a PhD in Physics! It's great to see someone with a passion for the subject and a drive to continue their education. As for suggested reading to brush up on your skills, I would recommend checking out some recent publications in your field of interest. This will not only help you stay up-to-date with current research, but also give you a better understanding of the current state of the field and potential areas for your own research. Additionally, reaching out to professors or colleagues in the field can also provide valuable insight and recommendations for further reading.

In terms of employment, with your experience teaching college-level physics courses and having a Master's degree, you may be able to secure a position as a teaching assistant or even a lecturer at a university. However, it ultimately depends on the specific requirements and qualifications of each institution. It's always worth applying and showcasing your skills and experience in your application. Best of luck in your graduate school search and in your future endeavors as a physicist!

1. What are some recommended books for an MS going back to school?

Some recommended books for an MS going back to school may include "The Organized Mind" by Daniel Levitin, "A Mind for Numbers" by Barbara Oakley, "How to Read a Book" by Mortimer Adler, "Deep Work" by Cal Newport, and "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg.

2. Are there any books specifically for MS students returning to school after a break?

Yes, there are books specifically for MS students returning to school after a break. Some examples include "The Returning Student's Guide to Academic Success" by Robin Warshaw, "The Adult Student's Guide to Survival and Success" by Al Siebert, and "The Mature Student's Handbook" by Lucinda Becker.

3. Can you recommend any books for time management and productivity for MS students?

Some books that may help with time management and productivity for MS students include "Getting Things Done" by David Allen, "Essentialism" by Greg McKeown, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey, and "Make It Stick" by Peter Brown.

4. Are there any books that can help with adjusting to the academic environment as an MS student?

Yes, there are books that can help with adjusting to the academic environment as an MS student. Some suggestions include "How to Become a Straight-A Student" by Cal Newport, "The Naked Roommate" by Harlan Cohen, and "On Course" by Skip Downing.

5. Are there any books that can assist with managing stress and maintaining mental health as an MS student?

There are books that can assist with managing stress and maintaining mental health as an MS student. Some examples include "The Stress-Proof Brain" by Melanie Greenberg, "The Happiness Advantage" by Shawn Achor, and "The Mindful Way Through Anxiety" by Susan Orsillo and Lizabeth Roemer.