Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Box

1. Jan 31, 2005 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rock the Suggestion Box

Like the Feedback Forum, but hipper ! :biggrin:

No need to wear well-brushed suits and shiny leather shoes here. No need to bow to the Uberlords as you enter. Heck, we don't even care if you dont iron your underwear before wearing them ! :wink:

Just drop your pa...oops, rants here. Words of appreciation are permitted, but rants are prefered. :approve: Non-sequiturs, incoherent essays about secret nuclear research, and questions like "Why is my post count 0 ?" are strongly encouraged.

We have burgers (bloody-as-hell), tofu on a stick, cheap vodka and a Brita filter. We occasionally have fondue parties ! :tongue2:

And we've got great music playing. Today's theme is "Rants in my Pants". First up, Ugly Kid Joe with Everything About You.

So, drop by, grab a bite, and b!+ch about something.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2005 #2
    Today is a bad day, back-breaking, heart-heavy bad day and I promise you guys if I see another report about Hong Kong being the freeest most successful economy, the people being smart etc, I WILL THROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The truth is all of us here are sleep deprived, working our fingers to the bone, taking tonnes of shi% everyday so that we have money to pay mortgage for our "negative equity asset"/buy stuff we don't need/food that makes us fat/kills us slowly. Nobody wants to admit it but we are owned by banks and property developers and we slave our lives away for them. On top of that the little girl with brain tumour I wrote about months ago is deterioating, tumour has spread to spinal cord and she has lost her bowel control etc. I wish I could cry. And where the hell is 42??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really miss you.

And people, get ready for the economic crunch from China, it is REAL BAD.

I need a drink.

4. Jan 31, 2005 #3
    So is this suggestions/rants about the forum, or anything?

My only rant about the forum is this unfinished theme!

5. Jan 31, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Both...either or...anything...there's really no rules here.

Did it trouble you immensely to find out that Häagen-Dazs comes out of Brooklyn, NY, and not some idyllic dairy farm in Western Europe ?

6. Jan 31, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

[​IMG]Wow, love the furry furniture and shag carpeting! :biggrin:

7. Jan 31, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay I'll complain. I'm really in the mood.

Not long after an ex Navy nuke guy told me all about how he learned as much physics in six months as we learned in four years [he didn't know that my degree is in physics], he explained to the customer how under excess braking load, the motor control panel diverts the EXTRA VOLTAGE to the braking resistors. I'll tell you, when it comes to money, it is more important to talk a good line than to know what you're doing. You divert the excess current. His is a statement typical of a know-it-all who understands very little.

Over the last couple of years I have almost posted dozens of rants that I ended up deleting because they were soooooooo negative, but it comes down to this: Customers are [expletive expletive] liars!!! Someone once told me this when I started in the business but for a long time I didn't realize how bad it is. I am so sick of people trying to screw me from every direction. If someone actually told me the truth I would probably fall over dead. Frankly, I am really struggling with an increasingly cynical attitude about people. My strength has always been that I take personal responsiblity for every job that I do. I don't pretend that nothings wrong when there is, or that I know when I don't, or that its done when its not. I don't lie to cover my butt, and I certainly don't lie to incriminate others. On this last job, one idiot's lie cost me two weeks of work. All that he had to say was that he didn't know, which he didn't. Instead he chose to lie and pretend that he knew everything. Now I can either say, oh well, screwed again, or I can make life miserable for everyone and take him to court. And who has time for that?

So goes the never ending saga of self employment. Oh well, it still beats having a boss. But I am afraid that one day the ole heart will just lock up and I'll just drop like a rock. One time I got so ticked off that I honestly think I nearly had a heart attack. I have learned to calm myself before things get that bad, but sometimes the bullets just keep coming, and coming, and coming. :grumpy: Its tough being the Lone Ranger sometimes, like always. Still, I hate bosses even more. I guess I would rather be dead than an employee. :confused:

8. Jan 31, 2005 #7

Not any more, i only buy grey goose now. The good stuff, all around.

9. Jan 31, 2005 #8

Evo

Stuffs the "HeartStart" home defibrilator into Ivan's computer.

I recently got a new Vice President that is destroying everything about this job that I didn't hate. My boss is quitting (my boss is wonderful), everyone is quitting, or being fired, or on stress disability.

I can't take it anymore. :cry: I was going to go back to my old company, but we just bought them and now I have nowhere to go. :cry:

If I suddenly disappear, you'll know I decided to end it all.

10. Jan 31, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't end it all Evo. You have so much going for you. For one, you make that habbit look gooooooood. :biggin: :buggrin: :buggrun:

11. Jan 31, 2005 #10
    Complain? No way !!

Greg nods, Chroot unpacks the big guns, Evo traces your whereabouts then the Sisters of PF provide a little shotgun therapy.

12. Jan 31, 2005 #11

Evo

If only that was really me. :frown:

My dog just vomited on my pillow.

This night is going downhill fast.

13. Jan 31, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, I know how you feel. Bun keeps bringing in dead things and hiding them in my office.

14. Jan 31, 2005 #13
    Don't.
    I'm a happy guy 75-90% of the time and I promise I've had a much harder life than anyone else here. I've been stabbed in the neck, had my daughter kidnapped, been arrested for a crime I didn't commit, spent several months homeless during which someone stole my shoes on Christmas Day in the rain. This isn't a contest, and that's enough about my hardtimes, but suffice it to say if I can go on so can you.
    Things are never so bad that ending it all is a solution. Not even jokingly. I've considered it, but always came to my senses, and I'm happy I'm still here.
    So no matter how hard it seems, remember how many people really care about you. The number is mind boggling. Besides I'm contemplating trying something I saw on TV which involves a plastic eraser, liquid Nitrogen and explosions. You don't want to miss it.

15. Jan 31, 2005 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A round of drinks for everyone. Polly, Ivan, Tribby and Evo sure deserve theirs. I think I can tend the bar for a li'l bit. Franz, you look like you're doing okay.

So, what'll it be, folks ? I've decided to stock up the bar : we've got anything you want, From Stolichnaya Vodka to a Merryvale Cabernet, it's all here (including a 240 liter dewar of liquid nitrogen, for Tribdog's consumption) !

<track currently playing : Blue Oyster Cult, Don't Fear the Reaper>

16. Jan 31, 2005 #15
    oh, forgot to mention the drunk driver that killed my dog. I'll take a beer. lol just kidding, I'm the one that killed my dog.

17. Jan 31, 2005 #16
    I'll be the barback and run ice, glasses, stock, or whatever ya need to make these fine people a little happier! :smile:

Where's the yager, Tsu and some of the other sisters have been feeling sick lately plus I could use some *hummpgh* cough medicine! :biggrin:

Pour me a guiness and I'll sing 'danny boy' when I get back!

18. Jan 31, 2005 #17

Evo

Just line up one of everything for me Gokul and keep the music playing. :shy:

Trib, I know, I suck. My next door neighbor ran over and killed my dog (pre jaws of death), that was between running over two of her own dogs and the other neighbor's dog and then running over their kitten with her lawnmower. :mad:

Oooooh, now this is worth hanging around for.

Gokul, make that two of everything!

19. Jan 31, 2005 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]
    Polyb, your Guinness is waiting for you.

Tribdog, Corona work for you ? And that's a vent valve :eek:, leave it alone !

Evo, 2 dirty martinis coming up. Should I go easy on the Vermouth ?

20. Jan 31, 2005 #19
    got enough for the rest of us gokul? :approve:

21. Jan 31, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll take a cosmopolitan! Yum!

Me, I don't have anything to rant about other than a year's worth of lost time on a project because my collaborators decided instead of waiting for a x-ray machine to be repaired (delay the project a few weeks), they went ahead with surgeries with only one (when a precise 3D placement was needed), so now I have the grand total of n=2 from this year's experiment, and it's too late to repeat it until next fall (has to be done during the breeding season). So, instead of putting it off 2 weeks, I now lose a whole year! :grumpy: That, and I have a whole pile of contradictory results here from my other set of experiments. :cry: It doesn't make any sense at all! I keep trying to sort through it and make some sense of it, but no matter what interpretation I consider, some piece of data doesn't fit.

*downs cosmo* Mmm...thanks...Mardis Gras week is starting, so I think I'll have a hurricane next. That's the good thing about virtual bars, I don't have to figure out how I'm going to get home when I chase a cosmo with a hurricane! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?