Suggestion for an optics book?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of optics and the recommendation of textbooks. The individual is starting an introductory course and is looking for suggestions of textbooks. One book recommended is Born and Wolf's Principles of Optics, which is considered dense but contains valuable information. Another individual mentions starting classical mechanics and electromagnetism courses and wanting to catch up with an upper-level undergraduate optics textbook.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I just started an introductory course dealing with geometrical optics for now and maybe some physical optics later (undergraduate level). I've heard that M. Born & E. Wolf's Principles of Optics is a good book. Can you suggest another book? Also, would you suggest the Born/Wolf book for a first approach with optics?
I've looked through this forum (Sc. book discussion) and the few threads related to Optics didn't get any answer. I hope to have more luck!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an optics expert by any stretch, but I am familiar with Born and Wolf. It is old-fashioined and dense, yet contains a lot of good material on fundamentals of propagation, diffraction, coherence, etc. However, by no means is it introductory! It is at a similar level as Jackson's EM book.

jason

Ok thanks. I'll be looking for it. I'm also starting classical mechanics (level of Goldstein's book) and Electromagnetism (Jackson's book) aside; yet I didn't take any intro to Optics course. But I guess I can catch up with some upper level undergraduate Optics textbook so thanks a lot for the suggestion.

1. What is the best optics book for beginners?

The best optics book for beginners would depend on the individual's level of knowledge and learning style. Some popular options include "Introduction to Optics" by Frank L. Pedrotti and "Optics" by Eugene Hecht.

2. Can you recommend an optics book with in-depth mathematical explanations?

"Fundamentals of Optics" by Francis A. Jenkins and Harvey E. White is a comprehensive book that covers optics concepts with detailed mathematical explanations.

3. Is there a specific optics book that focuses on practical applications?

"Optics: Learning by Computing, with Examples Using Mathcad, Matlab, Mathematica, and Maple" by Karl Dieter Moeller is a practical guide that uses computer programs to demonstrate optics concepts and applications.

4. Are there any optics books that include hands-on experiments?

"Hands-On Optics: Experiments and Projects for Grades 9-12" by Stephen Michael Pompea and Patricia H. Reiff includes over 60 hands-on experiments and projects for high school students to learn about optics concepts.

5. What is the most highly recommended optics book among experts in the field?

According to many experts, "Optics" by Eugene Hecht is considered the most comprehensive and well-written book on optics, covering both theoretical and practical aspects of the subject.