Suggestions for a Power System Analysis book?

• Thread starter OliskaP
  • Start date
Hi,

I want a book about power system analysis that I can have laying around and read from time to time. I have taken a course in power system analysis some time ago, where I was taught simple fault analysis including unbalanced faults, frequency and voltage control.

So to maintain this knowledge, perhaps understand it better and learn more, I want a good book that I can refer to. I was looking at this book Power System Analysis and Design by J. Duncan Glover, Thomas Overbye, Mulukutla S. Sarma (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1305632133/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

It seems to cover a lot of what I've learned in my power system course. If you have any better suggestions please let me know.

Best regards

Answers and Replies

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I never took that course, and regret not having done so.

This author was teaching AC circuit analysis and electric machinery as a grad student when i went through school, late 1960's.
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471862061.html

He was hands down the best explainer of things electrical that i encountered. He got me interested in machinery and three phase. .

Ask around, see if anybody else has an opinion of the book.

Tom.G
Science Advisor
Yikes! Did you see the price on that? Try an ISBN search in a book search engine. I've found this one to be useful:
www.gettextbooks.com/isbn/9780471862062/

I've gotten some good help from
Electric Energy Systems Theory: An Introduction
by O.I. Elgerd, McGraw-Hill, 1971
In the front, he quotes his motto: Think MKS. In that comment, he is dead on. Electromagnetic calcs in US Customary units are an absolute nightmare!

Hi,
In our final year we used Power System Analysis by Haadi Saadat. I hope it will perfectly suit your needs. The books provide solved examples and codes for MATLAB as well.

Thanks all.
I ordered used copies of the books suggested by jim hardy and Dr.D. I dont expect good conditions, but they were so cheap so I'll wait and see. If I like them I can buy them in better condition later.

The book suggested by Electrical also seems like a good choice, I will take a look at that and see what I do when I receive the two books I just ordered.