Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestions on Books

1. Nov 27, 2004 #1
    I seem to be drawn towards literature which tends to question reality, or answers questions which many people do not even begin to question in the first place. This then, can include both philosophical, and "scientific" literature (although it seems to be more metaphysical or 'metascientific').

Does anyone have any suggestions? If so, I'll go to the library or Chapters tomorrow to pick the book up.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here are some staples :

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig
    anything by Fritjof Capra (Web of Life, Hidden Connections, Turning Point, etc.)
    The Dancing Wu Li Masters - Gary Zukav

4. Nov 27, 2004 #3
    Thank you Gokul.

Any one else? I'm in the mood for reading. :smile:

5. Nov 27, 2004 #4
    two by george gamow:
    - one, two, three... infinity
    - gravity

6. Nov 27, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a note that these are actually science books, albeit for the layman. Gamow's style, nevertheless, is distinct and enjoyable. If you read and enjoy any of these above two, I would highly recommend Gamow's Tompkins series as well.

7. Nov 28, 2004 #6
    "Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture" (Apostolos Doaxiadis) is a good [light] read.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?