Suggestions on buying a new system

In summary: CPU that will not offer you anything more than an athlon 64 will, go ahead.definately wait for pci express to come out for the processor you will be using.
graphic7
Gold Member
I'm getting ready to buy a new system - I haven't been keeping up with the latest benchmarks, as far as CPU's and motherboards go. To give a little reference the last system (x86) I bought, was a 1.4ghz AMD Thunderbird, and now it's time to upgrade.

As far as setting some parameters, Dual CPUS is no concern (at least not for this system), and somewhere around $600 for the motherboard and CPU. I'd prefer to stick with AMD, perhaps one with one of the Barton cores, but I have no idea on a motherboard.

Have Opterons gained any ground?

Edit: Minor corrections.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
graphic7 said:
I'm getting ready to buy a new system - I haven't been keeping up with the latest benchmarks, as far as CPU's and motherboards go. To give a little reference the last system (x86) I bought, was a 1.4ghz AMD Thunderbird, and now it's time to upgrade.

As far as setting some parameters, Dual CPUS is no concern (at least not for this system), and somewhere around $600 for the motherboard and CPU. I'd prefer to stick with AMD, perhaps one with one of the Barton cores, but I have no idea on a motherboard.

2800XP+
512MB DDR
120GB
printer
etc..
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...-details.asp?EdpNo=1046210&Sku=E400-C2825 KIT

graphic7 said:

get a dual Athlon 64 3200+ system.

you will get more performance boost out of the dual CPU set up because processes will get more time on a Processor than if you just cranked up the Clock speed. also, might I suggest that if you are building, to go with a Seagate barracuda hard drive, and the Pioneer 108 DVR Drive.

the opteron is super overkill for you. the Athlon 64 3200+ will do you fine.

ComputerGeek said:
the opteron is super overkill for you. the Athlon 64 3200+ will do you fine.

And how do you know the Opteron is a super overkill for me? No offense, but nowhere in the last post did I state what the purpose was for buying the machine.

graphic7 said:
nowhere in the last post did I state what the purpose was for buying the machine.
What form factor are you looking for?

graphic7 said:
And how do you know the Opteron is a super overkill for me? No offense, but nowhere in the last post did I state what the purpose was for buying the machine.

it was a simple inference from the fact that the last computer you bought was not a server class processor. since when do you have to be explicit for some one to see what your needs are? but fine, you want to blow money on a CPU that will not offer you anything more than an athlon 64 will, go ahead.

definately wait for pci express to come out for the processor you will be using.

im wating until the beginning of next year for PCI express to come to the athlon64.

What will the computer be used for

I'll be using it as a general workstation, which includes running Matlab, Mathematica, Visual Studio, VMware, etc.

1. What factors should I consider when buying a new system?

When buying a new system, you should consider the system's processing power, storage capacity, memory, graphics capabilities, and budget. It is important to have a system that meets your current and future needs.

2. Should I go for a desktop or a laptop?

This depends on your personal preference and usage. Desktops generally have better processing power and are more customizable, while laptops offer portability and convenience. Consider your needs and choose the option that suits you best.

3. What operating system should I choose?

The operating system you choose depends on your specific needs and preferences. Popular options include Windows, macOS, and Linux. Research and consider the software and applications you will need for your work before making a decision.

4. Is it better to buy a pre-built system or build my own?

This depends on your technical expertise and budget. Building your own system can be more cost-effective and allow for more customization, but it requires more knowledge and time. Buying a pre-built system is more convenient but may limit your options.

5. How much RAM do I need for my new system?

The amount of RAM you need depends on your usage. For basic tasks like web browsing and word processing, 8GB of RAM is sufficient. For more demanding tasks like gaming and video editing, 16GB or more may be necessary. Consider your usage and budget when making a decision.