1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suitable material

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone,

Can anyone suggest a raw material that has the properties similar to steel and produce less noise when meshing with other part. I thought of polymers like Cast nylon, HDPE etc, but the issue is, it has to withstand a temp of around 200°C, during working condition.

Thanks,
    r.murali

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2010 #2
    Depends what you mean by properties similar to steel, as polymers are in no way similar to steel. Especially Nylon, the very best Nylon i've seen has a Moly filled that has about 0.25- 0.3 the tensile strength of mild steel.

What application is this for? Why do yo want 'less noise'? What is causing the noise?

I assume this is a gear as you use the word mesh. If it's gears a redesgin of how the teeth engage is more likely to solve noise problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook