Suitable Opamp for this Low Pass Filter

In summary, the op-amp TLV2721 is not suitable for use as the active component in the filter due to its slow slew rate of 0.18 V per microsecond. The cutoff frequency for the filter is approximately 115kHz. The op-amp TLC071 may be a suitable choice as it has a slew rate of 16V per microsecond, which is reasonably close to the required 20V per microsecond. However, it is the best option among the op-amps listed in Table A. The other three op-amps (TLC2201a, TLC2202a, and TLC2272a) may also be suitable, but they are above spec and may be more expensive in terms of
Whiley

Homework Statement

[/B]
Select (with justification) from the op-amps listed in TABLE A those which are NOT suitable for use as the active component in the filter of (a) above.

upload_2017-8-13_16-29-24.png

upload_2017-8-13_16-29-47.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Currently The only Op amp I see that is not suitable is TLV2721 due to slow slew rate of 0.18 V per micro second.

Attachments

• Fig.2.png
    Fig.2.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 519
  • TableA.png
    TableA.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
I have found that the cutoff frequency is approximatly 115kHz.

If anyone could point me in the right direction with what I might be looking for with respect to the other aspects to each of the op amps please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I would look at that slew rate for the first 0.1us, and make my choices based on that...

Thank you and thanks for your reply,

Do you mean that I should find the slew rate that we have based on the first 0.1us and compare to the op amps from the table?

Whiley said:
Thank you and thanks for your reply,

Do you mean that I should find the slew rate that we have based on the first 0.1us and compare to the op amps from the table?
Yes, that is what I would do. Look at the very start of the waveform where the slope is the steepest -- the opamp needs to be able to keep up with that slew rate to match the specs. I only see one opamp that comes close...

So do we have a slew rate of 2V/us at 0.1us?

Whiley said:
That's about what I got as well. So what is the ballpark slew rate needed per us?

So would this make the 2.5V/us op amp the correct choice as the others are either too slow or above spec?

Whiley said:
Whiley said:
So would this make the 2.5V/us op amp the correct choice as the others are either too slow or above spec?
No. Sorry, but I guess I misread your reply... "slew rate of 2V/us at 0.1us" is not right. It is 2V/0.1us, which equals what slew rate per us?

EDIT -- please see later posts

Last edited:
20V/us?

Yes, better. So only one opamp in the table comes close to that, right?

Last edited:
Yes, the TLC071 although even though its closest its still not suitable?

It's the best you can do with those selections. And the problem just asks you to eliminate the ones that are not suitable anyway. And 16V/us is reasonably close to 20V/us...

Last edited:
Likes Whiley
Ok great! Thanks very much I appreciate the help :smile:

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
No. Sorry, but I guess I misread your reply... "slew rate of 2V/us at 0.1us" is not right. It is 2V/0.1us, which equals what slew rate per us?
Hi, sorry but when going back through this I got a little confused as to how you came up with 2V/0.1us. On the graph at 0.1us the voltage is 0.2V so therefore should the slew rate be 2V/us? Am I missing somthing.

Likes NTL2009
Whiley said:
Hi, sorry but when going back through this I got a little confused as to how you came up with 2V/0.1us. On the graph at 0.1us the voltage is 0.2V so therefore should the slew rate be 2V/us? Am I missing somthing.

Then I am too. I also see 0.2V at ~ 0.1 uSec, and that would be 2V/uSec, eliminating only one op-amp.

Another op-amp might be marginal, considering we are estimating from a graph here, and it would be steeper for the first 0.05 uSec, but we are hitting diminishing returns for a practical matter.

NTL2009 said:
Then I am too. I also see 0.2V at ~ 0.1 uSec, and that would be 2V/uSec, eliminating only one op-amp.
Oops, I think you are right. Thanks for catching my error.

No problem, so with this then is it safe to say that the TLC2201a is suitable and the other 3 are not. 2 of them are above spec is it reasonable to state that they are not suitable due to being above spec or do you think they will expect more?

Also out of curiosity is there any other drawback to going above spec in terms of slew rate other than cost and power consumption?

No, IMO being faster than needed is fine, and should not disqualify them.

Being faster, they may be a bit more expensive, so you might eliminate them from your search for that. But on technical grounds, I think they should be fine. If there were other criteria given in the problem (like current consumption or input offset voltage, etc.), then you might be able to eliminate more of the parts on technical grounds.

Thanks so 1.5+ mV input offset is too large where as 0.6 mV is negligible and therefor this is still the only suitable op amp, is this a fair statement?

Depends on the circuit. In some circuits, the input offset voltage doesn't matter much. Are you given more of the circuit or additional constraints, or just the time domain step response graph that you've posted so far?

I have not been given any circuit paramaters other than the step response of the output and I am to determine which op amp is not suitable. With no information with regards to offset correction etc. I am assuming the circuit is simply RC filter with a voltage follower op amp configuration.

Whiley said:
NOT suitable for use as the active component in the filter of (a) above
If there is no more information than the step response graph, I don't think you can go much farther. If you have a typical filter circuit that you have been studying as part of this unit, then you might be able to say more. If you are using a DC follower after the filter, then the input offset voltage (or input offset currents) may come into play.

Updated this comment as there isn't a circuit I got mixed up sorry.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-14_17-39-51.png
    upload_2017-8-14_17-39-51.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 541
Thanks for your help again, I think I have everything I need thanks :smile:

Likes berkeman

What is an opamp and why is it important for a low pass filter?

An opamp, or operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies an input signal. It is important for a low pass filter because it allows for precise control over the cutoff frequency and gain of the filter.

What makes an opamp suitable for a low pass filter?

An opamp is suitable for a low pass filter if it has a high gain, high input impedance, and low output impedance. It should also have a wide bandwidth and low noise to accurately filter out high frequency signals.

What specifications should I look for in an opamp for a low pass filter?

Some important specifications to consider when choosing an opamp for a low pass filter include the gain bandwidth product, slew rate, input and output voltage ranges, and input and output impedance. These specifications will affect the performance and accuracy of the filter.

Can any opamp be used for a low pass filter?

While any opamp can technically be used for a low pass filter, not all opamps will provide the same level of performance. It is important to choose an opamp with the appropriate specifications for the desired cutoff frequency and gain.

Can I use a single opamp for a low pass filter?

Yes, a single opamp can be used for a low pass filter, but it will only provide a first-order filter with a 6 dB per octave rolloff. For a steeper rolloff, a multiple opamp circuit can be used, such as a Sallen-Key or Butterworth filter.