1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sulfur problem

Tags:
  1. Dec 3, 2015 #1
    • Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
    A sample of sulfur having a mass of 1.28 g combines with oxygen to form a compound with a mass of 3.2g. What is the empirical formula.
    So what i did is found the mass of oxygen which is 1.92g . Then converted the 1.28g S to 0.04 mol. Then converted the 1.92g O2 (as it says oxygen, or should it be just O?) to get 0.24mol O. I found online that the answer should be SO3, but I get SO6 because of Oxygen. Should I not assume it is diatomic, and just go with as just element?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When the oxygen is combined with another element in a compound, it is no longer in diatomic form. Plus, there's no such compound as SO6, AFAIK, unless the valence of S is 12 instead of 2.

4. Dec 3, 2015 #3
    So when it says that oxygen is combining it should be just O, not O2. If i understood correctly.

5. Dec 3, 2015 #4
    Yes a single oxygen atom has combined with some other element(s).
    It may or may not have originally been an atom which was existing previously as part of diatomic oxygen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted