SULI 2023 Acceptance: Share Your Story

In summary: I just got an offer from SLAC too!I just heard back from a staff scientist at Berkeley lab!I'm a junior. I applied to PPPL and BNL. I interned at BNL last summer.I just got an offer from SLAC too!Hi! I am a junior! I applied to ORNL and SRNL!I'm a sophomore. I applied to ORNL and LLNL. Did anyone hear back yet?
wnguyen1312
Didn't see a thread yet for this, so I'm making one. I'm a sophomore and I applied to SLAC and Oak Ridge. Put that where you applied, and we can start talking!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking to talk to other folks who have applied and gotten positions at SLAC and Oak Ridge?

jedishrfu said:
Are you looking to talk to other folks who have applied and gotten positions at SLAC and Oak Ridge?
Yes and also the people who are applying for the summer 2023 cycle. It would be interesting to know the profile of the students who got in before

I'm not sure how much this helps. SULI ultimately comes down to the individual investigator, and the fact that Dr. X looked for something in one year doesn't mean that's what Dr. Y will do the following year.

You want strong letters, good grades, and rigorous coursework. Fine-tuning beyond that is probably not so helpful.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
I listed Berkeley lab as my first choice and Argonne as my second, condensed matter and quantum materials was my research choice for both labs. I'm a junior with just under a year of research experience in experimental condensed matter. I've presented my work at a national conference and am finishing up on two publications. My GPA is meh though at around 3.6, it's probably the only thing about my application that has me worried haha.

Likes berkeman
Hi! I am a junior! I applied to ORNL and SRNL!

I'm a sophomore. I applied to ORNL and LLNL. Did anyone hear back yet?

It's awfully early to expect to hear back by Groundhog Day, Lab scientists get access to the list "in early February:, and it takes time for things to move along.

The SULI website said decisions would start coming out around February 1st and I heard some other people heard back so I thought they were coming out. But I guess it also makes sense that it's too early.

It's probably mathematically possible to get an offer by now, But everything has to align just so.

Juggernaut545 said:
The SULI website said decisions would start coming out around February 1st and I heard some other people heard back so I thought they were coming out. But I guess it also makes sense that it's too early.
what places have people been hearing back from?

Last edited:
kalap said:
I saw someone getting an offer from Oak Ridge on Reddit

What's up gamers? I'm a junior. I applied to PPPL and BNL. I interned at BNL last summer.

kalap said:
I just heard back from a staff scientist at LBNL, haven't received an official offer yet though.

electricsheep420 said:
I listed Berkeley lab as my first choice and Argonne as my second, condensed matter and quantum materials was my research choice for both labs. I'm a junior with just under a year of research experience in experimental condensed matter. I've presented my work at a national conference and am finishing up on two publications. My GPA is meh though at around 3.6, it's probably the only thing about my application that has me worried haha.
Update: Just heard back from a staff scientist at Berkeley lab!

Just received an offer yesterday from GA. I’m a senior/ recent graduate studying mechanical engineering.

Thought I'd put this on here because I was checking this forum sooo often earlier, but just got an offer from SLAC (my first-choice laboratory) last night! I'm currently a sophomore studying Physics, with one summer of research experience (not with SULI).

Likes berkeman
heyypenguin said:
Thought I'd put this on here because I was checking this forum sooo often earlier, but just got an offer from SLAC (my first-choice laboratory) last night! I'm currently a sophomore studying Physics, with one summer of research experience (not with SULI).
Congrats!!! I also got an acceptance from SLAC (my first choice too!). What area will you be working on this summer?

Likes berkeman

What is SULI 2023?

SULI 2023 stands for the Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship program, which is a summer internship opportunity for undergraduate students to conduct research at a national laboratory.

How do I apply for SULI 2023?

To apply for SULI 2023, you must first meet the eligibility requirements and then submit an application through the Department of Energy's online application system. The application typically opens in the fall and closes in January.

What are the eligibility requirements for SULI 2023?

To be eligible for SULI 2023, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at an accredited institution, and have completed at least one year of college-level coursework in a STEM field.

What can I expect during my SULI 2023 internship?

During your SULI 2023 internship, you will have the opportunity to work on a research project under the guidance of a mentor at a national laboratory. You will also have the chance to participate in professional development activities and network with other interns and scientists.

What are the benefits of participating in SULI 2023?

Participating in SULI 2023 can provide valuable research experience, professional development opportunities, and networking connections. It can also help you gain a better understanding of the scientific research process and potentially lead to future career opportunities in the STEM field.