SULI DOE Acceptance Thread Summer 2017

In summary: I applied to a lot of programs, but I only received an offer from the SULI REU in Astrophysics.In summary, the applicant applied to a number of programs, but was accepted into the SULI REU in Astrophysics.
I have been accepted to SULI Fermilab and a SURF program at Caltech and am not sure which one to take. The Fermilab opportunity is much closer to my home (easy driving distance) and pays more. Any insights or suggestions? Is there any huge difference in quality/prestige of these two programs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Has anybody heard from NREL? I haven't heard anything. I am assuming itd be a no since its quite late, but i haven't received a confirmation nor denial yet.

Has anyone heard back from PNNL yet? I heard back from them for CCI on March 18th in 2015, but I'm still getting nervous now. :/

Last edited:
CassiniDivision said:
I have been accepted to SULI Fermilab and a SURF program at Caltech and am not sure which one to take. The Fermilab opportunity is much closer to my home (easy driving distance) and pays more. Any insights or suggestions? Is there any huge difference in quality/prestige of these two programs?

Do you know what the projects are on? Pick the project that is more interesting to you. See if you can get the PI/supervisor's names and look up some of their old papers or if their respective organizations "featured" them in one of their announcements.

Some other stuff I like to consider is "shaking things up" and leaving my comfort zone. I feel like I am able to build a bigger and better network if I leave the nest. I'm sure both opportunities are very good. Congratulations!

Likes CassiniDivision
Thanks for your help Jprz! I ended up choosing Fermilab because the program looked more interesting (as you suggested!) It would have been a great summer no matter where I ended up. Congrats to everyone else as well!

Likes Joshy
Anyone hear back from SLAC yet?

I haven't heard back from Argonne yet, so I'm assuming that means no lol. Some closure would be nice though.