1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

\sum 1/log(n) goes like ?

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1
    Hello,

In my probability course it is used that [itex]\frac{1}{n} \sum_{k=3}^n \frac{1}{\log k} \propto \frac{1}{\log n}[/itex].

I hope I'm not being daft: can somebody enlighten me on why this is so?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2
    Hello,

a method to find a equivalent is to border the sum by integrals (in attachment)

Attached Files:

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Are you sure jjacquelin that this series 1+1/x+2/x^2+6/x^3 converges? I take it to be sum_k k!/x^k.

I took a similar approach by integrating by parts, but sadly also ended up with a divergent series. I think this is a non-trivial question to prove from scratch.

5. Aug 15, 2011 #4
    We don't consider the infinite series which doesn't converge. We consider a limited number of the first terms in order to derive an equivalent. This is the usal way for asymptotic series.
    In fact, in my previous attachment, where a typographic character which is not exactly the good one. In the asymptotic formula the "equal" should be the "tilde". (see attachment)

Attached Files:

6. Aug 15, 2011 #5
    Thank you

7. Aug 15, 2011 #6

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I have not seen that before, thank you for the explanation.

8. Sep 12, 2011 #7
    Hi,

what is the summation of 1/log(n) + 1/log(n-2) + 1/log(n-4) ..

Regards
    Vishy

9. Sep 13, 2011 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please do not "hijack" someone elses thread to ask a different questions- start your own thread.

Also, for fixed n, n- i will eventually be 0 so if you mean an infinite sum, that will not exist. I presume you mean
    [tex]\sum_{i= 0}^{n-1} \frac{1}{ln(n- i)}[/tex]

10. Sep 13, 2011 #9
    sorry abt that ..
    actually i wanted to know the summation
    n/2−1
    ∑ 1/lg(n−2i)
    i=0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook