1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum convergence - is my approach flawless?

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1
    I have to find out, whether this sum converges:

[tex]
    \sum_{n = 2}^{+ \infty} n^{\alpha} \left( \log (n+1) - \log n \right)^4
    [/tex]

So I rewrote it:

[tex]
    \sum_{n = 2}^{+ \infty} n^{\alpha} \left( \log \left(1 + \frac{1}{n} \right) \right)^4 =
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \sum_{n = 2}^{+ \infty} n^{\alpha - 4} \left[ \frac {\log \left(1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)}{\frac{1}{n}} \right]^4
    [/tex]

Now I can see that the expression with log goes to 1, so the sum gets reduced to

[tex]
    \sum_{n = 2}^{+ \infty} \frac {1}{n^{4 - \alpha}}
    [/tex]

and the result is obviously [itex]\alpha \in \left(0, 3\right)[/itex].

But, I don't know how exactly should I justify my decision. I'm not talking about the very last step now, but the one in which I threw away the logarithm because of the limit 1. We have to give reasons for each non-trivial step we do, so I think I should write some theorem or rule under that step...

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you're saying that:

[tex]\sum_{n = 2}^{+ \infty} n^{\alpha - 4} \left[ \frac {\log \left(1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)}{\frac{1}{n}} \right]^4=\sum_{n = 2}^{+ \infty} \frac{1}{n^{4-\alpha}}[/tex]
    ..then no.
    But you can use it to compare the original series it with the right hand side.

If you can show
    [tex]\left[ \frac {\log \left(1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)}{\frac{1}{n}} \right]^4<1[/tex]
    and approaches 1, then you're home free. That means the original series converges too.

4. Jan 18, 2005 #3
    Yes, I see what you mean. But...how should I prove this:

If you can show
    [tex]\left[ \frac {\log \left(1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)}{\frac{1}{n}} \right]^4<1[/tex]

I only know the limit is 1, nothing more...

5. Jan 18, 2005 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Use the limit comparison test. You know that [tex]n^{\alpha-4} [/tex] converges for [tex]\alpha <= 2 [/tex].

Compare your given series

[tex]\sum_{n = 2}^{+ \infty} n^{\alpha - 4} \left[ \frac {\log \left(1 + \frac{1}{n} \right)}{\frac{1}{n}} \right]^4 [/tex]

to the series [tex]n^{\alpha-4} [/tex], and calculate the limit... which you've already discovered is 1 (this is essentially what you did anway). Since this is finite and greater than zero, your series must converge.

This also shows that when [tex]n^{\alpha-4} [/tex] diverges ( [tex]\alpha > 2[/tex], your series also diverges.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  6. Jan 18, 2005 #5
    Now it's clear, thank you learningphysics and Galileo. Limit comparsion test is the clue.

7. Jan 22, 2005 #6
    I thought it was clear to me, but some time ago I had to solve similar problem and I realized that comparing my original sum to some other sum only tells me, for which [itex]\alpha[/itex] it converges surely, but it doesn't tell me all [itex]\alpha[/itex] values for which it converges. I hope I expressed it in an understandable way...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?