1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum n^2/n! from 1 to infinity.

1. Aug 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!} = [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Context: practice Math GRE question I don't know how to answer.

Well, it's bigger than e and converges by the ratio test. Adding up the first 5 or 6 terms suggests that it converges to 2e. That's good enough for a standardized test, but I'd like to know how to handle this series legitimately.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2011 #2
    It does converge to 2e (by wolfram alpha), but I'm not sure how to derive it.

4. Aug 13, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n}{(n-1)!} [/itex] any easier ?

5. Aug 13, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

n^2/n! = n/(n-1)!, so your sum = sum_{n=1..inf} n/(n-1)! = sum_{k=0..inf} (k+1)/k!. Look at (d/dx) sum_{k=0..inf} x^(k+1)/k! .

RGV

6. Aug 13, 2011 #5
    Thank you Sammy and Ray, I have it now. In case anyone is curious:

[itex]
    \sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!}

= \sum_0^\infty \frac{k+1}{k!}

= lim_{m \to \infty} (p_m + p_{m-1})
    [/itex]
    where [itex] p_k = \sum_0^m 1/k! [/itex] .
    And that limit is 2e.

Ray, I see that that derivative, evaluated at 1, is equal to our series. But what good does that do?

7. Aug 13, 2011 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

You can look at this in stages:

What is [itex] \frac{n}{n!} [/itex] equal to?

Then what is [itex] \sum_1^\infty \frac{n}{n!} [/itex] equal to? (It will help to keep in mind the infinite series for e .)

Next, what is [itex] \frac{n (n-1)}{n!} [/itex] equal to? (Write it two different ways: by cancelling terms in numerator and denominator and by simply multiplying out the numerator.)

Then what would [itex] \sum_2^\infty\frac{n (n-1)}{n!} [/itex] equal? (It may help at any of these stages to write out the first few terms of the series.)

You can now add your result for [itex] \sum_1^\infty \frac{n}{n!} [/itex] to your new result to find [itex] \sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!} [/itex] .

(You could also use this iteratively to find a general result for [itex] \sum_1^\infty \frac{n^p}{n!} [/itex] .)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  8. Aug 13, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ray's sum (to be differentiated) is: [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k+1}}{k!}[/itex]
    [itex]\displaystyle =x\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k}}{k!}[/itex]

[itex]=xe^x[/itex]
    d/dx(xex), evaluated at x=1 is 2e .

9. Aug 13, 2011 #8
    Thanks a lot everyone, this was really helpful.

Regarding the question I just asked, which Sammy just answered, thanks. I was asking myself what function
    [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k+1}}{k!}[/itex]
    was a power series for, but for some reason it wasn't clicking. I guess I'm pretty rusty with this sort of thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook