Expressing Sum Notations for 8+27+64+... and (1+x)^n(2+x)^n | Solution Steps

In summary, the conversation discusses expressing 8+27+64+... with n terms as a sum notation and expanding (1+x)^n(2+x)^n in sum notation. The sum notation for the first problem is \sum^{n+1}_{k=2} k^3 and for the second problem, the double sum can be split into a product of two single sums and expanded into twelve terms. The conversation also includes a step-by-step example of expanding the double sum and verifying the result.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

1) Express 8+27+64+... with n terms as a sum notation
2) Expand [itex](1+x)^n(2+x)^n[/itex] in sum notation

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is very simple but I've simply forgotten.

1) Ok so firstly I am assuming the sum is meant to be [itex]2^3+3^3+4^3+...+n^3[/itex]

So, I think the sum is supposed to be expressed like this:

[tex]\sum ^{n}_{k=2} k^3[/tex]

But from every other sum I've seen, they all start with k=0 so is it necessary to have the limit starting at 0?

[tex]\sum ^{n-2}_{k=0} (k+2)^3[/tex]

2) For [itex](1+x)^n(2+x)^n[/itex] I will express each factor as a sum, and multiply them together.

[tex]\left[ \sum^{n}_{r=0} ^{n}C_{r}.x^r\right]\left[ \sum^{N}_{R=0} ^{N}C_{R}.2^{N-R}.x^R\right][/tex]

Now, is it correct if I merged both factors as such?:

[tex]\ \sum^{n}_{r=0}\sum^{N}_{R=0}^{n}C_{r}.^{N}C_{R}.2^{N-R}.x^{r+R}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not necessary to start a sum at zero. You can express it either way. And there is nothing wrong with your merged sum either.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

So then if I see a merged sum like I've done, then I can imagine them as being multiple sums (I can go backwards and separate each sum into 2 factors)?

And I'm having trouble imagining how to expand each sum into a long expression. For small n,N>0, say, n=3, N=2, I'm unsure how to be expanding the sum. Of course, I wouldn't even attempt it for larger n and N since I know how long and crazy it can get.

If you have a double sum and you can separate the thing you are summing over into two factors, each one of which is dependent only on one of the summation indices then, sure you can split it back into a product of two single sums. Is that what you mean? You are getting a little abstract here.

Yes sorry that is what I meant.

But let's say for a second that I couldn't convert a double sum back into a product of 2 single sums simply, how would I expand, say,

[tex]\ \sum^{3}_{r=0}\sum^{2}_{R=0}^{3}C_{r}.^{2}C_{R}.2^ {2-R}.x^{r+R}[/tex]

Of course I could go backwards and convert this back into a product of 2 factors: [tex](1+x)^3(2+x)^2[/tex] and expand each factor and then multiply the 2 factors as normal, but what if I didn't know how to get back to this point and had to expand the double sum above?

For the first problem it says "Express 8+27+64+... with n terms as a sum notation" (underline added).
Your sum has n - 1 terms:
[tex]\sum ^{n}_{k=2} k^3[/tex]

The number of terms is the ending index - starting index + 1, which is n - 2 + 1 = n - 1 for your sum. As Dick pointed out, there's no rule that says the beginning index has to be 0, so to get exactly n terms in your sum, adjust the ending index.

Oh thanks for spotting that Mark. I didn't think about getting n terms exactly, I just threw in the first term 2 and the last term as an n.
ok so the sum notation should be:

[tex]\sum^{n+1}_{k=2}k^3[/tex]

Now, just an answer to post #5 is still pending. If anyone can help me to understand what I'm looking for when expanding a double sum like this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mentallic said:
Yes sorry that is what I meant.

But let's say for a second that I couldn't convert a double sum back into a product of 2 single sums simply, how would I expand, say,

Of course I could go backwards and convert this back into a product of 2 factors: [tex](1+x)^3(2+x)^2[/tex] and expand each factor and then multiply the 2 factors as normal, but what if I didn't know how to get back to this point and had to expand the double sum above?

For each value of r from 0 to 2 you would expand the remaining single sum for R from 0 to 3 into four terms and then add them all together getting twelve terms.

Dick said:
For each value of r from 0 to 2 you would expand the remaining single sum for R from 0 to 3 into four terms and then add them all together getting twelve terms.

Ahh thanks that makes plenty of sense.
Ok I'm going to try expand it, I hope I get this right :smile:

[tex]=\sum^2_{R=0}^3C_0.^2C_R.2^{2-R}.x^{0+R}[/tex]
[tex]+\sum^2_{R=0}^3C_1.^2C_R.2^{2-R}.x^{1+R}[/tex]
[tex]+\sum^2_{R=0}^3C_2.^2C_R.2^{2-R}.x^{2+R}[/tex]
[tex]+\sum^2_{R=0}^3C_3.^2C_R.2^{2-R}.x^{3+R}[/tex]

[tex]= ^3C_0.^2C_0.2^{2-0}.x^{0+0}+^3C_0.^2C_1.2^{2-1}.x^{0+1}+^3C_0.^2C_2.2^{2-2}.x^{0+2}[/tex]
[tex]+^3C_1.^2C_0.2^{2-0}.x^{1+0}+^3C_1.^2C_1.2^{2-1}.x^{1+1}+^3C_1.^2C_2.2^{2-2}.x^{1+2}[/tex]
[tex]+^3C_2.^2C_0.2^{2-0}.x^{2+0}+^3C_2.^2C_1.2^{2-1}.x^{2+1}+^3C_2.^2C_2.2^{2-2}.x^{2+2}[/tex]
[tex]+^3C_3.^2C_0.2^{2-0}.x^{3+0}+^3C_3.^2C_1.2^{2-1}.x^{3+1}+^3C_3.^2C_2.2^{2-2}.x^{3+2}[/tex]

[tex]=4+4x+x^2[/tex]
[tex]+12x+12x^2+3x^3[/tex]
[tex]+12x^2+12x^3+3x^4[/tex]
[tex]+4x^3+4x^4+x^5[/tex]

[tex]=x^5+7x^4+19x^3+25x^2+16x+4[/tex]

Test: x=2

[tex]LHS=(1+2)^3(2+2)^2=3^3.4^2=432[/tex]
[tex]RHS=(2)^5+7(2)^4+19(2)^3+25(2)^2+16(2)+4=32+112+152+100+32+4=432=LHS[/tex]

Seems right :smile:
Thanks for the help, I have officially mastered sums notation hehe

SEEMS right? It IS right. (1+x)^2*(2+x)^3=x^5+7x^4+19x^3+25x^2+16x+4. You could just multiply it out. No need to put a number into test. But I guess convincing yourself of something by doing it the HARDEST way possible and verifying it is convincing. I hope. I guess?

Last edited:
I wanted to avoid expanding it out, as I could've just done that in the first place! And imagine if it was much larger n,N (ok the sum would be ridiculous too but that's besides the point). Testing for confirmation wouldn't prove it, but supports it beyond reasonable doubt and also, it's not the hardest way! Just a hard way :tongue2:

Now that I look at it again... wtf was I thinking? haha thanks for the constructive criticism :smile:

1. What is the sum notation for the series 8+27+64+...?

The sum notation for this series is ∑(n=1 to ∞) n^3, where n represents the term number.

2. How do you express the sum notation for (1+x)^n(2+x)^n?

The sum notation for this expression is ∑(k=0 to n) (n choose k) * x^k * 2^(n-k) * (1+x)^(n-k), where k represents the number of terms that have the variable x.

3. What are the steps for finding the sum of 8+27+64+...?

The steps for finding the sum of this series are:
1. Recognize the pattern of cubes: 8=2^3, 27=3^3, 64=4^3, etc.
2. Write the general term of the series as n^3.
3. Use the formula for sum of cubes: ∑(n=1 to ∞) n^3 = (n(n+1)/2)^2.
4. Plug in the value of n as infinity and solve for the sum, which is .

4. How do you expand the expression (1+x)^n(2+x)^n?

The expression can be expanded using the binomial theorem: (1+x)^n(2+x)^n = ∑(k=0 to n) (n choose k) * x^k * 2^(n-k) * (1+x)^(n-k). This results in a polynomial with n+1 terms.

5. What is the general formula for finding the sum of (1+x)^n(2+x)^n?

The general formula for finding the sum of this expression is: ∑(k=0 to n) (n choose k) * (2^(n-k) * (1+x)^(n-k)) * (x^k/(1-x)^k), where the value of x must be less than 1 for the series to converge.