1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of 2 complex exponentials

1. Oct 5, 2015 #1
    I appreciate the opportunity afforded by this forum to submit a question.

I have struggled with the derivation shown in the attached picture. I am certainly unfamiliar with the concept used to include the arctan function in the encircled step.

Would be highly appreciative of a prompt.

Best regards,
    wirefree

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

Hello there,

I then assume you are happy with (4) and wonder how the factor in [ ] brackets is converted to the polar form in the red oval.
    For simplicity I propose to introduce $$ v = A\cos\alpha+B\cos\beta \\ w = A\sin\alpha+B\sin\beta$$ so that we have to convert ## v + jw## to polar form, i.e. to a form ##R\,e^{j\phi}##

(which is the reverse of what was done to write out (4), where, for example, they wrote$$A\,e^{j\alpha}= A\cos\alpha + j A\sin\alpha$$)

If we want to solve ## v + jw = R\,e^{j\phi}## for ##R## and ##\phi## and compare with the above, we see that ##\phi## follows from ##{\sin\phi\over\cos \phi} = {w\over v}##, meaning ##\tan\phi = w/v## or ##\phi = \arctan {w\over v}##

R follows from ##R^2 = (v+jw)(v-jw) = v^2 - j^2 w^2 = v^2 + w^2 ##

What helps a lot in this is to draw a picture of the complex plane (j axis vertical, real axis horizontal). And a unit circle or a circle with radius R to convert ##R \, e^{j\phi} ## to real and imaginary parts.

--

4. Nov 14, 2015 #3
    Thank you, BvU.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook