1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of a series

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent. If convergent, find its sum.

Summation (n=1 to infinity) (1+2^n) / (3^n)

I said that it is convergent from looking at the terms. The first couple of terms, you get:

1 + 5/9 + 9/27 + 17/108 + 32/243

It seems as if the numbers are converging to a number.

I don't know how to find the sum. All I know is, the sum of a series is equal to the limit of the sequence of partial sums. And from here I don't know what to do

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You generally don't determine convergence or divergence by looking at a few terms. Think about geometric series.

4. May 8, 2012 #3
    How do i determine it then? And i don't know how to move the terms around to get it to the form of a*r^(n-1)

5. May 8, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1 + 2^n}{3^n} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{3^n} + \frac{2^n}{3^n}\right)$$

Does that help?

6. May 8, 2012 #5
    I did that .. About as far as I get .. Am I supposed to put this in a geometric series form? I'm confused

7. May 8, 2012 #6

Mark44

Under certain conditions you can split a series that is a sum into the sum of two series. The condition is that all series involved are absolutely convergent.

8. May 8, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you sum from n = 1 to some finite N, then you have two finite geometric series:
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^N \left( \frac{1}{3^n} + \frac{2^n}{3^n} \right) = S_1(N) + S_2(N),[/tex]
    where
    [tex] S_1(N) = \sum_{n=1}^N \left( \frac{1}{3}\right)^n \text{ and } S_2(N) = \sum_{n=1}^N \left( \frac{2}{3}\right)^n. [/tex] There is no difficulty here in splitting up the sum into two parts, because the sums all have a finite number of terms. Each of S1(N) and S2(N) have well-defined limits as N → ∞ (given, in fact, by the geometric sum formula), so we get a nice limit for the whole sum.

RGV

9. May 9, 2012 #8
    Ok I did that too so for the (1/3)^n , a=1/3 and r=1/3? So that sum is a/(1-r) = (1/3)/(1-(1/3)) = 1/2

And for (2/3)^n, a=2/3 and r=2/3 so the sum is (2/3)/(1-(2/3)) = 2

And together that is 5/2 ok I got it now thanks! I always make the problems more difficult than they are

10. May 9, 2012 #9

Mark44

Don't do that! :smile:

11. May 9, 2012 #10
    I know I wish I could stop that! By the way, so how do i find out of the series is convergent or divergent, since someone said that you can't do it by plugging in a few numbers

12. May 9, 2012 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Surely

[tex]\sum a_n+b_n=\sum a_n + \sum b_n[/tex]

holds for every convergent series?? As long as you don't rearrange terms, I don't see why you need absolute convergence.

13. May 9, 2012 #12
    Micromass, can you explain to me how to determine whether a series is convergent or divergent? Because I just plug numbers in and see if they seem to come to a certain number

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook