1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of all integrers of a certain degree

1. Oct 14, 2005 #1
    Is there a general formula for the sum all the terms of the a serie such as:

1^n + 2^n + 3^n ... a^n

?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2005 #2
    well, as far as i know, the formulas differ depending on the power. I don't think that you can generalize a rhiemann summation like that...although it would defenetly be useful.

i know that sum(n) = n(n-1)/2
    sum(n^2)=n(n-1)(n-2)/6

and so on...but i never had to memorize them so i might be wrong about the second one...if there was a way to combine all of them no matter the power, it should be in the precalculus manuals i think.

4. Oct 14, 2005 #3
    This looks like one

I was looking for this a few weeks ago and found one here:
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FaulhabersFormula.html" [Broken]
    Also, google: "general power series sum" or variation and you should get quite a few hits

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  5. Oct 14, 2005 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a standard reference "Table of Integrals, Series, and Products" by Gradshteyn and Ryzhik, published by Academic Press. The answer gets fairly complicated in n. It is a polynomial in degree n+1 without a constant term and sometimes without a linear term. Specifically there are terms in n+1, n, n-1, n-3, n-5, etc.

6. Oct 16, 2005 #5
    Another way to do it

I came up with another general way. Borrows a bit from Faulhaber's formula but it's a little simpler and might be a little faster as it uses fewer factorials and no Bernoulli numbers

[tex]
    \sum_{j=0}^m j^p \quad = \quad p! \sum_{j=0}^m Q_{pj} R_{pmj}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    Q_{pk} \quad = \quad \left\{
    \begin{array}{ll}
    \sum_{j=0}^k -1^j \frac{ (k - j + 1)^p}{j!(p - j)!} \quad & k < p \\
    1 & k \geq p
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    R_{pmk} \quad = \quad \prod_{l=1}^p 1 + \frac{m - l}{k}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  7. Oct 17, 2005 #6
    There's a typo there, it should be
    sum(n^2)=n(n+1)(2n+1)/6.
    Although n(n-1)(n-2)/6 will always return a possitve integer for n > 2, it does not give you the desired number.

8. Oct 20, 2005 #7

benorin

Homework Helper

Here's one using Lagrange Interpolating Polynomials

Here's one using Lagrange Interpolating Polynomials (eqivalent to simplified polynomial curve fitting here).

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k^{p}=\sum_{k=1}^{p+2}\left(\sum_{m=1}^{k}m^{p}\prod_{j=1}^{p+2}\frac{n-j}{k-j}\right)[/tex]

where, in the product, the terms with j=k are omitted.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  9. Oct 20, 2005 #8
    Alright. I hope the proof of those sum is not tied to integral as I was looking for such a thing in order to proove the integral!

10. Oct 21, 2005 #9

benorin

Homework Helper

You can use bivariate induction to prove the above sum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook