1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of all possible products formed from a set of consecutive integers

1. Aug 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Say I have a set of consecutive integers up to N, for example up to 5, the set 1,2,3,4,5. I need to know a general formula for the value of the sum of all products that can be formed from a certain number of elements taken from such a set. For example with the 5 set, say I want 3 numbers; I'll get 1.2.3+1.2.4+1.2.5+1.3.4+1.3.5+1.4.5+2.3.4 etc etc. I'd like to find a general formula for any set size and any length of product. Spent most of today looking for one, and from what I did it looks like a nice formula may not exist, but you never know.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let N be the number of elements in the set and S be the number of terms per product. The furthest I got was something like

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^{N+1-S}i(\sum_{j=i+1}^{N+2-S}j(\sum_{k=j+1}^{N+3-S}k(...\sum_{z=y+1}^{N}z))...)[/itex]

The final sum (over z here) can be done easily, it gives something depending on y, then the sum over y can be done, and so on, but it very rapidly gets completely out of hand. Any alternative ways of looking at the problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?