Finding the Sum of an Alternating Series

In summary: Since it's absolutely convergent, you can reorder the terms however you like, or, indeed, split the series into two different series by choosing certain terms to put in each. Do you see a way that you can do this that will make it easier to evaluate?Yes, I think splitting it into two
shan
We were given the series:
1/2^6 - 1/2^8 + 1/2^10 - 1/2^12 + ...

And asked to find the general term, an, which I worked out to be (-1)^(n+1)/2^(4+2*n).
To see if it converged, I used the alternating series test and found that it converged ie the lim as n tends to infinity = 0 and the absolute values of the terms are decreasing.

The last part of the question asks for the sum of the series but I don't know how to find it. I searched on the internet but only found the alternating series estimate theorem which we haven't been taught and don't know how to use :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you a few little hints. First, you're looking for solutions that would make the problem much more complicated than it is.

Secondly, is the series absolutely convergent? Can this help you at all?

Since you are asked to sum the series, you can do it either using geometric series or telescoping.

Geometric is easier. Calculate the first two terms of the series. The first term is a. The second term is a*r.

To solve, plug in a, solve for r.

The sum is a/(1-r). Note: r must be less than zero.

Her series is alternating, so she can't do that directly. Also, in order for that to work, [tex] r < 0 [/tex] is not the right condition. I think you meant [tex] |r| < 1 [/tex] :)

Last edited:
Actually she can do it that way, if she chooses [tex]r[/tex] right! Good observation~

Last edited:
Data said:
Secondly, is the series absolutely convergent? Can this help you at all?
hmmm I know it's conditionally convergent... But I don't see how that helps :frown:

I did consider using geometric but I don't know ... does it still work if the equation is not in the form of r^n? Or is that what you mean, by choosing the right r?

When I tried using the sum to infinity for geometric, I used a= 1/2^6 and r= -1/2^4 = -1/4 and got 0.0125. Is that the right r? :confused:

And by the way... I'm a girl :cry: :biggrin:

Last edited:
I think that if you check, you'll find it's actually absolutely convergent.

Conditionally convergent series converge to a different value for each ordering of the terms of the series, so if it were conditionally convergent, you'd have to evaluate the sum exactly the way it's written (which would be very difficult).

Since it's absolutely convergent, you can reorder the terms however you like, or, indeed, split the series into two different series by choosing certain terms to put in each. Do you see a way that you can do this that will make it easier to evaluate?

And yes, in this case you can actually use the geometric series formula, although the choice of r isn't as obvious as it usually is!

shan said:
And by the way... I'm a girl

sorry! Corrected :)

Data said:
I think that if you check, you'll find it's actually absolutely convergent.
Oh yes I see now :)

Data said:
Since it's absolutely convergent, you can reorder the terms however you like, or, indeed, split the series into two different series by choosing certain terms to put in each. Do you see a way that you can do this that will make it easier to evaluate?
So... create one series with the positive numbers and the other series with the negative numbers?

That's what I did!

The geometric series way is easier though, if you want to use that. The choice for r that works is [tex]\left(-\frac{1}{4}\right)[/tex], and the series is equal to

[tex]-\sum_{k=3}^\infty \left( -\frac{1}{4}\right) ^k[/tex]

There you can just apply the geometric series formula and subtract away the missing k=1 and k=2 terms.

Using the method in which you split the series up, you have to apply the geometric series formula as well anyways, so it takes longer.

Sorry I'm getting confused again lol

Using the geometric formula that you put up: [tex]-\sum_{k=3}^\infty \left( -\frac{1}{4}\right) ^k[/tex]
the sum of that was -0.8
If I subtract away the missing k=1 and k=2 terms...
-0.8 - 0.0625 + 0.25 = -0.6125

I also tried the other way, making two other series with r=1/16 and a=1/2^6 for the positive values and r=1/16 and a=-1/2^8 for the negative values (the sums being 8/195 and -4/105 respectively) and added them together to get 4/1365...

Now I'm sure I've done something wrong but I'm not sure what and to which one :bugeye:

Wait, never mind, I must've put in the wrong numbers on my calculator... I got it, thanks ^^ It's 0.0125 :)

Since you have the method now, I don't mind showing you my solutions. Hopefully they'll help you figure out where the mistake is (maybe I made one!).

Using the split strategy:

[tex]\frac{1}{2^6} - \frac{1}{2^8} + \frac{1}{2^{10}} - . \ . \ . = \sum_{k=2}^\infty \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{4k-2} - \sum_{k=2}^\infty \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{4k}[/tex]

[tex] = 4\sum_{k=2}^\infty \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{4k} - \sum_{k=2}^\infty \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{4k} = 3\sum_{k=2}^\infty \left(\frac{1}{16}\right)^{k}[/tex]

[tex] = 3\left( \frac{\frac{1}{16}}{1-\frac{1}{16}} - \frac{1}{16} \right)= 3\left(\frac{1}{15} - \frac{1}{16}\right) = 3\frac{1}{240} = \frac{1}{80}[/tex]

And now using the direct geometric series method:

[tex]\frac{1}{2^6} - \frac{1}{2^8} + \frac{1}{2^{10}} - . \ . \ . = -\sum_{k=3}^\infty \left(-\frac{1}{4}\right)^k[/tex]

[tex] = - \left( \frac{-\frac{1}{4}}{1 + \frac{1}{4}} + \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{16}\right) = - \left( -\frac{1}{5} + \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{16}\right)[/tex]

[tex] = -\left( \frac{1}{20} - \frac{1}{16}\right) = -\left( -\frac{4}{320}\right) = \frac{1}{80}[/tex]

:)

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that Data :) Your working out is so much neater than mines lol

I write 20 page physics lab reports in TeX every week, so I get very used to the math syntax :)

Frankly, I don't see any reason to separate this into two sums (or worry about whether it is absolutely convergent or not).
This is, as physicsCU said at the beginning, a geometric series.

The first term is [itex]\frac{1}{2^6}[/itex] which we can take as "a" and the second term is [itex]\frac{-1}{2^8}= \frac{1}{2^6}\frac{-1}{4}[/itex] so r is -1/4. You can check to see that all other terms are just the previous term times -1/4 so this is in fact, a geometric series.
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^6}\left(\frac{-1}{4}\right)^k= \frac{1}{64}\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{4}}= \frac{1}{80}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Like I said, using a plain geometric series is easier~

What is the "sum of alternating series"?

The sum of alternating series is a mathematical concept where the terms of a series alternate between positive and negative values. The sum of the series is the total value when all the terms are added together.

How is the "sum of alternating series" calculated?

The calculation of the sum of alternating series depends on the specific series in question. In general, the sum is found by adding or subtracting the terms in the series in a specific order until all terms have been included. This process can be repeated to get a more precise value.

What are some real-life applications of the "sum of alternating series"?

The sum of alternating series has many applications in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model the behaviors of alternating current circuits, oscillating systems, and fluctuating financial markets.

What is the convergence of an alternating series?

The convergence of an alternating series refers to whether the sum of the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. If the sum approaches a specific value, the series is said to converge. If the sum does not approach a value, the series is said to diverge.

How is the "sum of alternating series" related to other mathematical concepts?

The "sum of alternating series" is closely related to the concept of series, which is a sequence of numbers added together. It is also related to calculus, specifically the concept of integration, as it involves adding up infinitely small changes in a variable. Additionally, it is connected to the concept of convergence, which determines if a series approaches a specific value.