Can You Convert an Integral Into an Infinite Series?

In summary, the conversation is about how to express (integral from 0 to 1) of 2dx/[(3x^4)+16] as a sum of an infinite series. The individual seeking help found that the series can be written as 1/8 * (sigma from n=0 to infinity) of (-1)^n *(3x^4/16)^n and evaluated the integral to get the final result. The expert confirms that the approach is correct.
maxpowers_00
hi, i need a little help calculating the infinite series sorry if it seems confusing, but i don't know how to put in the sigma or intergral symbols i did my best to make it clear:

i am sopposed to express (integral from 0 to 1) of 2dx/[(3x^4)+16] as a sum of an infinite series here's what i did:

the (integral from 0 to 1) of 2dx/[(3x^4) + 16]
i found that the series of 2dx/[(3x^4)+16] = 1/8* (sigma from n=0 to infinity) of (-1)^n *(3x^4/16)^n

i then pulled out the constants and got

1/8 * (sigma from n=0 to infinity) (-1)^n * (3/16)^n (integral from 0 to 1) (x^4n)

after evaluating the integral i got for my infinit series

1/8 (sigma from n=0 to infinity) (-1)^n (3/16)^n [1^(4n-1)/4n-1]

i just wanted to know if this seemed like it was the right way.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
maxpowers_00 said:
i just wanted to know if this seemed like it was the right way.
Yes. I didn't look at the details, but you seem to have the correct approach.

Yes, your approach seems to be correct. You have correctly expressed the given integral as a sum of an infinite series using the formula for the geometric series. However, there is a small error in your final answer. The correct expression for the infinite series would be:

1/8 * (sigma from n=0 to infinity) (-1)^n * (3/16)^n [1^(4n+1)/4n+1]

The exponent should be 4n+1 instead of 4n-1. Other than that, your method is correct. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical expression consisting of an infinite number of terms added together. It is represented in the form of Σn=1∞ a_n, where n represents the term number and a_n represents the value of each term.

2. How is the sum of an infinite series calculated?

The sum of an infinite series can be calculated using various methods such as the geometric series formula, telescoping series, and the integral test. Each method involves evaluating the limit of the sum of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity.

3. Can all infinite series be summed?

No, not all infinite series can be summed. A series is said to be convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases, and divergent if the sum does not approach a finite value. Some series, such as the harmonic series, are divergent.

4. What is the importance of the sum of an infinite series in mathematics?

The concept of an infinite series is important in mathematics as it allows for the representation of continuous and infinitely divisible quantities. It is also used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics, to model real-world phenomena.

5. Can the sum of an infinite series change depending on the order of its terms?

Yes, the sum of an infinite series can change depending on the order of its terms. This is known as the rearrangement theorem, which states that if a series is conditionally convergent (i.e. the absolute value of its terms is convergent, but the series itself is not), then its terms can be rearranged to result in a different sum.