How Can You Use Partial Fractions to Find the Sum of an Infinite Series?

In summary, the conversation discusses using partial fractions to find the sum of 4/(n(n+2)) from n=1 to n=infinity. The attempt at a solution involved finding A and B in A/n + B/(n+2), but the canceling of terms was not clear. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to write out the first few terms to see the canceling.
Sean1218

Homework Statement

Ʃ 4/(n(n+2)) from n=1 to n=infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using partial fractions to get A/n + B/(n+2), and I solved for A and B to get A=2 and B=-2

I tried summing them up, so everything would cancel except the first & last term, but nothing cancels.

I'm not sure of any other methods for finding sums or if I'm not just using this one wrong.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing cancels? Yes, partial fractions gives the addend as 2/n- 2/(n+2).
When n= 1, that is 2- 2/3.
When n= 2, that is 1- 2/4.
When n= 3, that is 2/3- 2/5.
When n= 4, that is 2/4- 2/6.
When n= 5, that is 2/5- 2/7.
When n= 6, that is 2/6- 2/8.
When n= 7, that is 2/7- 2/9
etc.

I see a lot cancelling!

You have the right idea. Try writing out the first 6 or so terms of$$
\sum_1^\infty(\frac 2 n - \frac 2 {n+2})$$leaving in the parentheses and not simplifying as you go. You will see some terms that cancel in the middle. Once you do that write the first ##n## terms.

[Edit]I see Halls types faster than I do.

What is the definition of an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical expression that consists of an infinite number of terms added together. The terms in the series follow a specific pattern and the sum of these terms can either converge (approach a finite value) or diverge (approach infinity).

What is the formula for finding the sum of an infinite series?

The formula for finding the sum of an infinite series is given by S = a/(1-r), where S is the sum of the series, a is the first term in the series, and r is the common ratio between consecutive terms.

How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if an infinite series converges or diverges. These include the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. The specific test used depends on the nature of the series and its terms.

What is the difference between a finite and an infinite series?

A finite series has a limited number of terms and can be calculated to a specific sum. An infinite series, on the other hand, has an infinite number of terms and its sum can only be approximated by calculating a finite number of terms. In other words, a finite series has a definite sum while an infinite series may or may not have a definite sum.

What are some real-life applications of infinite series?

Infinite series are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, the concept of infinite series is used in the design of electrical circuits, in the study of wave behavior, and in financial calculations such as compound interest. They are also used in computer algorithms for solving complex problems.