1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of an infinite series

1. Nov 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the sum of the given infinite series.
    $$S = {1\over 1\times 3} + {2\over 1\times 3\times 5}+{3\over 1\times 3\times 5\times 7} \cdots $$

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I try to reduce the denominator to closed form by converting it to a factorial.

$$\sum_{k \ge 1} {k\over {\prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a -1 }}$$
    $$\sum_{k \ge 1} {k\times \prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a\over \prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a -1 \times \prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a}$$
    $$\sum_{k \ge 1} {k\times 2^{k+1} \times (k+1)! \over (2(k+1))!}$$

I hit the dead end here. Although i can simply this a bit more but i still can't find a series that i can sum easily.
    Please provide some hints as to how can i proceed further.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What are you supposed to show in this problem? Your problem description is lacking this information.

4. Nov 3, 2016 #3
    The trick is to write it as a telescopic sum:
    [tex]
    \frac{n}{(2n+1)!!} = \frac{1}{2(2n-1)!!} - \frac{1}{2(2n+1)!!}
    [/tex]
    (in case you haven't seen it before, !! is the double factorial)

5. Nov 3, 2016 #4
    I am really sorry Mark. I have edited the question. Please see if my edit is sufficient enough.

6. Nov 3, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Much better. I wasn't sure whether you were supposed to determine if the series converged or diverged, or if it converged, find the sum.

7. Nov 3, 2016 #6
    I don't know what double factorial means. Sorry.
    Does double factorial means ##n!! = n(n-2)(n-4)\times\cdots \times3 \times 1## or ## (n!)!##?

Also, can you tell how you know that this is a telescopic series ?
    Have you done this question before ?

8. Nov 3, 2016 #7
    This one.
    Nope, haven't done it before - but its a standard technique for evaluating infinite summation of series. It probably helps to examine the structure of the first few terms. This can lead you to a good guess / ansatz that you can then prove in general for an arbitrary term.

9. Nov 3, 2016 #8
    Thank you very much. You are genius for sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted