Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of digits equation

1. May 6, 2004 #1
    "sum of digits" equation

Let f(n) denote the sum of (all) digits of natural number n. Prove that for each natural n we can choose convenient value of natural parameter p such that the equation f(npx)=f(x) has solution in natural numbers x that doesn't contain any "9" in its notation.

Does anybody have any idea? I don't... but I hope that you do... Actually I can solve a lot of special cases on a lot of pages... but I can't solve it generally. Is there any trick or only hard work? Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you handle the case where n=1111....1 ?
  4. May 6, 2004 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

one presumes you mean in base ten as well.
  5. May 8, 2004 #4
    Yes, you're right... in base ten.
  6. Jun 11, 2004 #5
    If 30 dosen't divide n, the result is true (see Acta Arithmetica 81; Mauduit and Scharkozy's article on sum of digits, theorem 2).
    You can impose lot's of conditions on x (the only thing you really need is that you have an infintly choice on it) as x is in the set {1,11,111,1111,...}

If 30 divide n, the result is true too, but i don't have reference (it's only a special technical case).
  7. Jun 11, 2004 #6
    Sorry i have done a small confusion : the 2 cases are
    * If 30 is prime with n, then, ...
    * If 30 and n have a commun divisor, then ...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?