1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of exponential of (-a^2 n^2)

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    I am in a trouble to work out the sum, i.e.
    "sum of exponential of[-a^2.n^2]" , where, n is an integer.... and sum over 1 to infinity, and "a" is "not small....", I've calculate two asymptotic behaviours , i,e when "a<<1" , in this case I've integrated it and have got, sqrt(pi)/2a-1, and in the limit a->infinity, it is simply "0", so the actaul result may be,
    f(a)=sqrt(pi)/2a+g(a), but if g(a) contains a^(-m), where m>1, then actually this would have dominated in the limit a->0, but its not the case... so g(a) cannot contain the term...a^(-m), now if g(a) contain a term like "a^m", m>1, then in the limit a->infinity we'd have got "infinity" instead of "0", so this is also not possible... and if here in "a^(-m) "m" is such that 1>m>0, then we will get a complex result...for -ve "a" but that is forbidden... as each term is real... how can the sum become complex..... so I guess the result should be....."sqrt(pi)/2a".... plz help..... (this problem occured when I was calculating the partition function of particle in an 1-D box....)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted