1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Sum of exponentials

1. Sep 15, 2016 #1
    I am looking for a way to simplify the following expression:

##\sum\limits_{n=1}^{N}\ \sum\limits_{k=0}^{N-1}\ \sum\limits_{k'=0}^{N-1}\ \tilde{p}_{k}\ \tilde{p}_{k'}\ e^{2\pi in(k+k')/N}##.

I presume that the sum of the exponentials over ##n## somehow reduce to a Kronecker delta.

Am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Sep 16, 2016 #3
    This formula is handy:

##\sum_{k=1}^{N}e^{2\pi ikn/N}=N\delta_{\text{n mod N}, 0}##

so that

##\sum\limits_{n=1}^{N}\ \sum\limits_{k=0}^{N-1}\ \sum\limits_{k'=0}^{N-1}\ \tilde{p}_{k}\ \tilde{p}_{k'}\ e^{2\pi in(k+k')/N}##

##=\frac{1}{2mN}\ \sum\limits_{k=0}^{N-1}\ \sum\limits_{k'=0}^{N-1}\ \tilde{p}_{k}\ \tilde{p}_{k'}\ N \delta_{(k+k') \text{mod N},0}##

##=\frac{1}{2m}\ \sum\limits_{k=0}^{N-1}\ \tilde{p}_{k}\ \tilde{p}_{N-k}##.

What do you think?

5. Sep 16, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That first step requires that you can treat k+k' as a single integer, as required in the provided formula.
    ie. requires that: $$\sum_{m=1}^N e^{2\pi i mn/N} = \sum_{k=1}^N\sum_{k'=1}^N e^{2\pi i (k+k')n/N}$$

6. Sep 16, 2016 #5
    thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted