Sum of Geometric Series: What Am I Doing Wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the sum of \sum9(2/3)^n from n=1 to infinity, and how to use the formula a/(1-r) to solve it. The correct answer is 18, and the conversation also discusses factoring out "r" in the formula to simplify it.
esvion
I have to find the sum of [tex]\sum9(2/3)^n[/tex] and I get a/1-r where a=9 and r=2/3...but I know a=6 and not 9. Can someone point out to me what I am doing wrong? The sum is from n=1 to infinity.

Thanks!

EDIT: I am thinking I take a(1) which is 6 as the a in a/(1-r), is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
esvion said:
I am thinking I take a(1) which is 6 as the a in a/(1-r), is this correct?

Yep!

esvion said:
I have to find the sum of [tex]\sum9(2/3)^n[/tex] and I get a/1-r where a=9 and r=2/3...but I know a=6 and not 9. Can someone point out to me what I am doing wrong? The sum is from n=1 to infinity.

Thanks!

EDIT: I am thinking I take a(1) which is 6 as the a in a/(1-r), is this correct?
You left out important information! What is the beginning index for your sum?

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n= \frac{a}{1- r}[/itex]

but
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a r^n= r \sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n[/tex]
where I have factored out an "r" to reduce the first index to 0,
and
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a r^n= \left(\sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n\right) - a[/tex]
where I have subracted off the [itex]ar^0[/itex] term.

In particular, with a= 9, r= 2/3,
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty 9 (2/3)^n= (2/3)\sum_{n=0}^\infty 9 (2/3)^n[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{2}{3}\frac{9}{1- 2/3}= \frac{6}{1- 2/3}= 18[/tex]

or
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty 9(2/3)^n= \left(\sum_{n=0}^\infty 9 (2/3)^n\right)- 9[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{9}{1- 2/3}- 9= 27- 9= 18[/tex]

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty a r^n= r \sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n
[/tex]

hmm, may i know how to factorise that r please?

annoymage said:
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty a r^n= r \sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n
[/tex]

hmm, may i know how to factorise that r please?
It's just the "distributive law": [itex]ar+ ar^2+ ar^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot= r(a+ ar+ ar^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]

owh, thank you very much

What is a sum of geometric series?

A sum of geometric series is the total value obtained by adding all the terms in a geometric sequence.

How do you calculate the sum of a geometric series?

The sum of a geometric series can be calculated using the formula: S = a * (1 - r^n)/(1 - r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.

What is the difference between a geometric sequence and a geometric series?

A geometric sequence is a set of numbers with a constant ratio between each consecutive term, while a geometric series is the sum of all the terms in a geometric sequence.

Can a sum of geometric series be infinite?

Yes, if the absolute value of the common ratio (|r|) is greater than 1, the sum of a geometric series will be infinite.

What are some real-life applications of sum of geometric series?

The sum of geometric series is commonly used in financial calculations such as compound interest and annuities. It is also used in physics and engineering to model phenomena with exponential growth or decay.