Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of happiness and sadness

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1
    If the happiness (rated from 1 to 10) or the sadness (rated from -1 to -10) of every human being (according to each of them) were summed, do you think the number be positive or negative? Why?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you averaged over both the life of the individual and over the individuals in humanity, I would think it came out negative, but not too negative. Reason, "into each life some rain must fall" is a saying that we don't reject indignantly, rather we shake our heads in mournful recognition of the truth. And we are among the richest and well endowed folks on the face of the earth. what must they feel in rural China or Africa?
  4. Jan 18, 2005 #3
    Here are some statistics. Note that these are only the top 50, and most of Africa is missing, so the result is probably fairly low though still above 0.
    Edit: Maybe the average (rating of 52 from -100 to 100) is for all countries, I don't know.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?