Solution for Infinite Series: 1/(1+n^2) Sum < pi/2

In summary: He then tried to find the partial sum of the series, but this didn't seem to be a credible solution. Thanks to the forum for helping him out!
tobythetrain

Homework Statement

Given the Infinite Series 1/(1+n^2) where n goes from 1 to infinity, show that the sum is less than pi/2.

Homework Equations

1/(1+n^2)dx=arctanx

Series goes 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/17, 1/26 and so on

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to find a telescoping series, but I can't see to get the terms to cancel out. My next try was to find the partial sum of the series, but I seem to want to take the integral from 1 til n+1 (as a form of partial sum) of 1/(1+n^2). I end up with Arctan(1+n) - Arctan(1), which obviously is less than pi/2, but I don't find this as a credibal solution...

Could anyone try to give me any hints on which way to go, or what way to go?

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum!

Physics news on Phys.org
tobythetrain said:

Homework Equations

1/(1+n^2)dx=arctanx

This is nonsense; perhaps you mean [tex]\int \frac{dx}{1 + x^2} = \arctan x + C[/tex] ?

tobythetrain said:
My next try was to find the partial sum of the series, but I seem to want to take the integral from 1 til n+1 (as a form of partial sum) of 1/(1+n^2). I end up with Arctan(1+n) - Arctan(1), which obviously is less than pi/2, but I don't find this as a credibal solution...

You are on the right track, actually. One small problem is that you need to overestimate the "bar graph" of the sum of the series with the curve, and [tex]\frac1{1 + x^2}[/tex] is a decreasing function of [tex]x[/tex], which means you need to move the "bar graph" left to fit under the curve. That is, for the [tex]n = 1[/tex] term, you need to write [tex]\frac1{1 + 1^2} < \int_0^1 \frac{dx}{1 + x^2}[/tex] and not [tex]\frac1{1 + 1^2} < \int_1^2 \frac{dx}{1 + x^2}[/tex] (which is false). If what I said about bar graphs doesn't make sense, draw a few pictures.

2. I tried to write the integralsign, but couldn't find it so I did it the easy way...

I totally see it now, and my problem is solved. Thanks a lot for helping me! This is a wonderful forum!

Toby

What is the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series is the sum of all the terms in the series, where the number of terms is infinite. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ).

What is the formula for finding the sum of an infinite series?

The formula for finding the sum of an infinite series is given by S = a1/(1-r), where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio between consecutive terms.

When can an infinite series have a finite sum?

An infinite series can have a finite sum when the ratio between consecutive terms is less than 1. This means that as the number of terms increases, the value of the series approaches a finite value.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent infinite series?

A convergent infinite series is one that has a finite sum, while a divergent infinite series is one that does not have a finite sum. In other words, a convergent series has a limit, while a divergent series does not.

Can the sum of an infinite series be negative?

Yes, the sum of an infinite series can be negative. This happens when the terms of the series alternate between positive and negative values, resulting in a negative sum. For example, the sum of the series 1-2+3-4+5-6+... is -1.