1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of k x^k?

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    [solved] Sum of k x^k?

I happened upon a thread in a math forum, where someone asserted that this is true:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty (k+1) \left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^k = 36[/tex]

I suppose this makes intuitive sense. But if it's true, it must have a general form. I.e.,

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty (k+1) r^k = ?[/tex]

Now, I know that the geometric series converges like so:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty r^k = \frac{1}{1-r}[/tex]

But by multiplying by (k+1) inside the summation completely changes things. Is there a name for this series? Is it true that it converges? If so, what does it converge to?

This question won't stop plaguing me. Since I don't know what this series is called, I'm having a hard time searching for it on the Internet.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

Gold Member

Well, I won't derive the general case for you but I will show you how to evaluate this particular sum (although, I'm not sure that I agree with the answer that someone else provided) . . .

[tex]S = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k5^k}{6^k} = \frac{5}{6} + 2\left(\frac{5^2}{6^2}\right) + \dots = \frac{5}{6} \left [ 1 + 2\left(\frac{5}{6}\right) + 3\left(\frac{5^2}{6^2}\right) + \dots \right ][/tex]

Therefore, we know that

[tex]S = \frac{5}{6} \left [ 1 + 2\left(\frac{5}{6}\right) + 3\left(\frac{5^2}{6^2}\right) + \dots \right ] = \frac{5}{6} \left ( 1 + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(k + 1)5^k}{6^k} \right )[/tex]

With some simple manipulations, we can put this last sum into a more desirable form

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(k + 1)5^k}{6^k} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k5^k}{6^k} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^k = S + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^k[/tex]

Now, using this expression we find that

[tex]S = \frac{5}{6} + \frac{5S}{6} + \frac{5}{6}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^k[/tex]

From which it follows that

[tex]S = 5 + 5\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^k[/tex]

Using the formula for the sum of a geometric series, we can evaulate the last sum and find the value of [itex]S[/itex]

[tex]S = 5 + 5\left(\frac{1}{1 - \frac{5}{6}}\right) = 5 + 5(6) = 35[/tex]

Edit: Aside from any significant mistakes I may have made in evaluating that particular sum, you should also note that I evaluated the sum using very informal methods.
  4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    Convergence issues aside (actually it converges for every complex r with absolute value less than 1, and converges uniformly on every disk with a radius less than 1)
    A good insight is that it is a derivative of a more simple series:

And you know that:

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}r^{k+1}=r\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}r^{k}=\frac{r}{1-r}[/tex] (For any r for which it converges)

And therefore your sum is given by

Which also fits your special case r=5/6.
  5. Jan 24, 2010 #4

Gold Member

Wow, that's much simpler. It really makes me wish that I was more proficient with infinite series.
  6. Jan 24, 2010 #5
    That was just what I was looking for -- not only the solution, but a tool to use in the future :).

Thank you so much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook