What is the general form and convergence of (k+1)r^k?

• Thread starter Caspian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation revolved around the sum of a series with the form of (k+1)r^k and its convergence. It was shown that this particular sum can be evaluated using the formula for a geometric series and the derivative of a simpler series, giving a final result of 35. The conversation ended with gratitude for the solution and a newfound tool for future use.
Caspian
[solved] Sum of k x^k?

I happened upon a thread in a math forum, where someone asserted that this is true:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty (k+1) \left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^k = 36[/tex]

I suppose this makes intuitive sense. But if it's true, it must have a general form. I.e.,

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty (k+1) r^k = ?[/tex]

Now, I know that the geometric series converges like so:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty r^k = \frac{1}{1-r}[/tex]

But by multiplying by (k+1) inside the summation completely changes things. Is there a name for this series? Is it true that it converges? If so, what does it converge to?

This question won't stop plaguing me. Since I don't know what this series is called, I'm having a hard time searching for it on the Internet.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, I won't derive the general case for you but I will show you how to evaluate this particular sum (although, I'm not sure that I agree with the answer that someone else provided) . . .

[tex]S = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k5^k}{6^k} = \frac{5}{6} + 2\left(\frac{5^2}{6^2}\right) + \dots = \frac{5}{6} \left [ 1 + 2\left(\frac{5}{6}\right) + 3\left(\frac{5^2}{6^2}\right) + \dots \right ][/tex]

Therefore, we know that

[tex]S = \frac{5}{6} \left [ 1 + 2\left(\frac{5}{6}\right) + 3\left(\frac{5^2}{6^2}\right) + \dots \right ] = \frac{5}{6} \left ( 1 + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(k + 1)5^k}{6^k} \right )[/tex]

With some simple manipulations, we can put this last sum into a more desirable form

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(k + 1)5^k}{6^k} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{k5^k}{6^k} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^k = S + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^k[/tex]

Now, using this expression we find that

[tex]S = \frac{5}{6} + \frac{5S}{6} + \frac{5}{6}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^k[/tex]

From which it follows that

[tex]S = 5 + 5\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{5}{6}\right)^k[/tex]

Using the formula for the sum of a geometric series, we can evaulate the last sum and find the value of [itex]S[/itex]

[tex]S = 5 + 5\left(\frac{1}{1 - \frac{5}{6}}\right) = 5 + 5(6) = 35[/tex]

Edit: Aside from any significant mistakes I may have made in evaluating that particular sum, you should also note that I evaluated the sum using very informal methods.

Convergence issues aside (actually it converges for every complex r with absolute value less than 1, and converges uniformly on every disk with a radius less than 1)
A good insight is that it is a derivative of a more simple series:

[tex]\frac{d}{dr}\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}r^{k+1}=\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}(k+1)r^{k}[/tex]

And you know that:

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}r^{k+1}=r\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}r^{k}=\frac{r}{1-r}[/tex] (For any r for which it converges)

And therefore your sum is given by

[tex]S(r)=\frac{d}{dr}(\frac{r}{1-r})=\frac{(1-r)+r}{(1-r)^{2}}=\frac{1}{(1-r)^{2}}[/tex]

Which also fits your special case r=5/6.

Wow, that's much simpler. It really makes me wish that I was more proficient with infinite series.

That was just what I was looking for -- not only the solution, but a tool to use in the future :).

Thank you so much!

1. What is the formula for the sum of k x^k?

The formula for the sum of k x^k is (1-x)/(1-x^2). This formula is derived from the geometric series formula a/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. What is the significance of the sum of k x^k in mathematics?

The sum of k x^k has many applications in mathematics, including in algebra, calculus, and number theory. It is used to solve polynomial equations, evaluate limits, and even study the distribution of prime numbers.

3. Can the sum of k x^k be simplified further?

No, the sum of k x^k cannot be simplified further. However, it can be expressed in different forms, such as using factorials or binomial coefficients, depending on the context in which it is being used.

4. How is the sum of k x^k related to the power series representation of a function?

The sum of k x^k is a type of power series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of powers of x. This allows us to approximate the function with a finite number of terms and make calculations easier.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the sum of k x^k?

Yes, the sum of k x^k has many real-world applications, especially in physics and engineering. For example, it is used in the study of heat transfer, electrical circuits, and population growth models.