1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of n-th roots

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know how to sum a*r^(1/n) for all n?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2
    Well, if you mean the roots of the equation X^n-r = 0, you should look up symmetric functions.

4. Nov 15, 2007 #3
    I can't see how symmetric functions would help. I'm looking for a closed form solution for the given sum, in the sense that the infinite sum of a*r^n = a*(1-r^(n+1))/(1-r), I'm looking for the infinite sum of a*r^(1/n).

5. Nov 15, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you write what you mean, rather than abbreviating it? I can't tell precisely what you mean, and my best guesses for what you mean are very obviously not convergent sums.

6. Nov 15, 2007 #5
    What does \sum_{k=0}^{n} a*r^(1/k) equal? Given that |r| < 1, a and r are constants.
    In the sense that the geometric progression \sum_{k=0}^{n} a*r^k equals a*(1-r^(n+1))/(1-r).

Cheers

7. Nov 15, 2007 #6
    The sum of roots of unity is zero.

8. Nov 15, 2007 #7
    I know that, what about sums of roots of other numbers?

9. Nov 15, 2007 #8
    The n'th roots of any real number, say r, is [itex]r^{\frac{1}{n}} \zeta_n^k[/itex] where [itex]\zeta_n[/itex] is the primitive nth root of unity. So what will happen when you sum them?

Edit: [tex] 0\leq k \leq n-1 [/tex]

10. Nov 15, 2007 #9
    Thanks Kreizhn! should have noticed that myself =)

11. Nov 15, 2007 #10
    Wait a second, what exactly should I have noticed? I'm summing over n not k.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?