1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of partial derivatives

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to prove that [itex]x\frac{ \partial^2z}{ \partial x^2} + y\frac{\partial^2z}{\partial y\partial x} = 2\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex] z = \frac{x^2y^2}{x+y} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I actually did it the long way and I got the right answer but here is my teacher's solution :

[itex] z = \frac{x^2y^2}{x+y} [/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow x\frac{ \partial z}{ \partial x} + y\frac{ \partial z}{ \partial x} = 3\frac{ \partial z}{ \partial x} [/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow \frac{ \partial z}{ \partial x} +x\frac{ \partial^2z}{ \partial x^2} + y\frac{ \partial z}{ \partial x} = 3\frac{ \partial z}{ \partial x} [/itex]

Answer follows.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea about what technique he actually uses there. Is there any "rule" or "trick" that I am not aware of here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It follows from observing z is homogeneous of degree 3, Euler's homogeneous function theorem, and interchanging operators.

x zxx+y zyx=(x zx+y zy-z)x
    by commuting operators
    =(3-1)zx=2zx
    by Euler's homogeneous function theorem
    thus
    zx is homogeneous of degree 2
    or we could go backwards and just show zx is homogeneous of degree 2

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    Thank you! Our teacher didn't ever mention homogenous functions though, I assume this ain't going to be in the exam. At least I'll have that tool in my arsenal :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook