1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of Series help

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the sum of Ʃ 1.2476n^.2476 from n=1 to 35.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It isn't an arithmetic, geometric, or a p-series. I have tried using L'hopital's rule and using partial fractions. Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

True enough.
    Why would you think that L'Hopital's rule or partial fractions are applicable here?

This is a finite series, so the problem boils down to adding 35 numbers, 1.2476 + 2.2476 + 3.2476 + ... + 35.2476, and then multiplying that sum by 1.2476.

Seems like kind of a pointless problem to me, unless there is some technique that can be used to simplify things. Nothing comes to mind, though.

4. Jun 20, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I doubt that there is any nice closed-form expression for the sum. What is stopping you from evaluating the sum numerically (using a spreadsheet or a package such as Wolfram Alpha)?

RGV

5. Jun 20, 2012 #4
    I guess I was too lazy, and I really want to have all sum formulas at my access.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook